In this disruptive environment, clients need advice from experienced lawyers who can guide them through any legal hurdle. Fieldfisher provides unparalleled client support thanks to its distinguished focus on the TMT and financial services sectors. We have deep insight into the dynamics and complexities clients face - especially when it comes to the mission-critical use of technology in financial services.
Our experts are specialists in matters at the frontiers of digital technology, providing effective support and comprehensive counsel when it's needed most.
Why choose our Payments and Cards lawyers?We are able to quickly adapt to the needs of all kinds of businesses, as we act for a range of clients. These include financial institutions, mobile network operators, online and high street retailers and service providers, ISPs and regulatory bodies.
This flexibility extends to our expertise, with clients regularly engaging us for advice on cards and digital payments transactions (including the establishment of mobile wallets), money remittance via mobile devices, contactless payments, cash-in-transit and ATM services - in addition to merchant acquiring, dynamic currency conversion and related payments infrastructure advice.
We also help with regulatory questions surrounding authorisation and the availability of exemptions under payment services and e-money legislation. This includes structuring business models for new products and businesses to ensure compliance. We also assist with the impact of competition and regulatory issues, and new EU and UK legislation.
Notable deals and highlights
- We advised a leading mobile operator on a series of m-payments projects, including its m-payments joint venture arrangements with other mobile network operators.
- We advised a major international bank on the terms and conditions of use for its innovative m-payments service.
- We acted for Starbucks on its arrangements to establish an authorised e-money issuer as part of its loyalty card, and subsequently on the UK implementation of European Directives on E-Money and Payment Services.
- We advised a leading MNO on the launch of a mobile money transfer service in Africa.
- We advised Nintendo on the payments aspects of the launch of its UK online retail store.
- We acted for a leading UK bank on a series of e-money programmes, including the launch of mobile banking systems on iPhone and an alliance agreement with Google.
- We advised the Payments Council on competition and regulatory issues across a number of projects, including those associated with collaborative use and procurements of payments infrastructure and the Central Account Switching Service.
- We advised Travelex in relation to dynamic currency conversion services across the Nordic countries, including advice on SEPA regulations relating to credit transfers and direct debits in Euros.
- We acted for Stagecoach on its mobile ticketing collaboration with EE.