Why choose our Bribery and Corruption lawyers?When a bribery issue arises it is important that the matter is investigated properly by experienced lawyers. We have conducted many bribery investigations and know how to avoid the pitfalls of gathering evidence, how to safeguard privilege and how to deal effectively with criminal and regulatory authorities. We are able to negotiate Deferred Prosecution Agreements in appropriate cases.
A business that has adequate procedures in place to prevent a bribe being paid may be able to avoid an issue arising. However if the bribe is paid despite a company's best efforts, the preventative measures can themselves provide a defence to liability under the Bribery Act 2010. We have significant experience of drafting practical and effective procedures for businesses of all shapes and sizes. Our experience means we can take a pragmatic approach, and we can draft procedures for you in a cost-effective manner. We make sure our clients get it right.
There is often an overlap in corruption cases among civil, criminal, regulatory and disciplinary issues. Our skills and experience enable us to guide our clients through all of the issues this can cause.
Notable deals and highlights
- We counselled a services company on self-reporting to the UK Serious Fraud Office in light of the acquisition of a business with operations in Nigeria.
- We attended a client's offices to advise on an emergency basis during a 'dawn raid' by police seeking documents, and caution interviews.
- We undertook a multi-jurisdictional corruption investigation for a US-based global corporation, and advised on "self-reporting" to regulatory and prosecutorial authorities.
- We advised employees of a large multinational corporation on giving evidence in a high profile criminal trial.
- We advised an international telecoms company on an internal investigation following the discovery of irregular payments in Africa and updated their anti-bribery polices.
- We advised a Middle Eastern business on an internal investigation following the discovery of irregular payments.
- We have advised clients worldwide in a variety of sectors on the implementation of 'adequate procedures' to prevent bribery.
- We advised a global transport company on its bribery risk assessment.