Why choose our Product Liability lawyers?Fieldfisher offers clients a one-stop-shop of product liability expertise, with regulatory experience as well as litigation. This includes liaising with Trading Standards and other regulatory authorities and attending interviews under caution with directors and senior managers of the producer concerned.
Our team offers unique benefits to clients which sets us apart from competitors. We know that defective products can have a severely negative impact on a company's reputation, which is why we provide support on crisis communications and assist in dealing with the press.
Our specialists have a wealth of experience handling a broad range of issues involving industrial equipment, medicine and medical devices and can assist where product recall or other corrective measures are considered necessary following concerns to the safety of a product.
It is also imperative for businesses to have access to robust litigation defence, as strict liability is often imposed on producers . In the event of a civil claim arising out of a defective product, our team is highly experienced at defending civil litigation arising out of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 and in common-law negligence in the UK.
Thanks to our extensive European network, we have experience of product liability claims across the continent. Although the European Directive on Defective Products 1985 has been transposed into law in most European countries, our lawyers are experienced in advising on the nuances of the differing EU frameworks for product liability. This means we can give our clients a more bespoke service, with advice tailored to their local market.
We work closely with our clients to fully understand their industries and businesses, and thrive on achieving satisfying results as their trusted partners.
Notable deals and highlights
- We represented pharmaceuticals laboratories and manufacturers of medical devices in respect of allegations that defective medicine or medical devices posed a risk to patient safety.
- We represented numerous manufacturers of industrial equipment in actions by end users.
- We advised various organisations in dealing with investigations and prosecutions by regulators.
- We acted for one of the world's largest retailers in relation to product safety issues arising in the course of its sales.
- We advised a major European engineering business on product safety issues arising out of its construction and engineering business.
- We defended a multinational technology company in product liability claims surrounding a defective product.
- We completed an internal investigation for a security company and advised on product liability and other corrective measures following their product being found to be in contravention of safety regulations.