Criminal Injuries Compensation - Criminal Assault Claims Solicitors - CICA Claims - No Win No Fee | Fieldfisher
Skip to main content

Criminal Assault Compensation Claims

If you or a family member have suffered a serious injury following criminal assault, our award-winning personal injury team can help you claim for compensation.

To speak with one of our criminal assault experts call 0800 358 3848 or complete our online enquiry form.

If you have been injured following a criminal assault, for example violent mugging, sexual assault or unprovoked attack, you may be able to pursue a claim for damages:

  • Through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities (CICA)
  • Through the courts in a civil claim for damages

Our personal injury solicitors have extensive experience dealing with criminal assault claims and particularly negotiating procedures involving the government-funded CICA scheme.

We currently represent victims of alleged sexual assault by film producer Harvey Weinstein in civil claims.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities (CICA)

CICA is a government organisation that can pay compensation to people who have been physically or mentally injured as a blameless victim of a violent crime, including terrorist attack. Awards range from £1,000 to £500,000.

Financial awards can be made:

  • To recognise physical and mental injuries due to criminal assault.
  • In certain circumstances, to obtain compensation for past or future lost earnings or special expenses caused by such a crime.
  • For bereavement as a result of a criminal assault, including, in some cases, compensation for the lost earnings of the person who has been killed.

CICA guidelines include:

  • Your injury must have been caused by a criminal assault in England, Scotland or Wales (Northern Ireland has its own scheme).
  • Your compensation application must be lodged within two years of the assault, although this is discretionary and can be waived.
  • You must have reported the criminal assault to the police and fully co-operated with them.
  • The state will only provide compensation if your injuries exceed the £1,000 tariff.

To be successful in any CICA compensation claim, you must be able to prove that you are the innocent victim of a violent crime. If CICA considers you provoked or willingly participated in the criminal assault, it could refuse or reduce personal injury compensation. The same is true if you have a record of violence or a criminal conviction.

Our successful claims include:

  • Jill Greenfield acted for Amanda Lawson (Lawson v Glaves-Smith, Executor for the Estate of Dawes) who recovered the highest award of damages for pain and suffering from a civil rape case - one of only a very few civil rape cases pursued in the UK. Read about the case in the Guardian, the Telegraph and the Daily Mail. 
  • Jennifer Buchanan obtained the maximum £500,000 award from CICA for a student assaulted outside a night club, who will suffer life-long health problems. Read about it here.
  • Jill Greenfield and Mark Bowman acted for a young man who suffered injuries as a baby and who recovered £5.5 million. (This case pre-dates the CICA cap of £500,000).  Read the case study.
  • We acted for British Victims of Terrorism caught up in a terrorist bombing in Kusadasi, Turkey in 2005. Jill has also been involved in a successful campaign to introduce a financial support scheme for British victims of terrorism abroad. The scheme was passed into law on 8 April 2010 as part of the Crime and Security Bill. You can read the debate in the House of Lords about the new scheme here.
  • We also acted for a police worker, Keith Tilbury, who was shot during a training exercise. Jill obtained a six figure sum and an admission of liability for the incident from Thames Valley Police.

Highly experienced professionals able to obtain brilliant results for clients, whatever the claim and whatever their needs.

Legal 500 2024

Personal Injury Review



Contact us

For a free, no obligation call with one of our personal injury solicitors, please dial 0800 358 3848 or complete our online enquiry form.