Changes in the global political landscape, variations in regulatory regimes and the growth of corporate environmental accountability and responsibility mean that environmental issues can have a substantial impact on reputation.
Our Europe-wide team of expert Environmental lawyers advises national and multinational companies, including industrial operators, property developers, urban regenerators and investors, on how to comply with and exceed the environmental requirements of regulators and stakeholders.
We also act for government departments and
agencies, local planning authorities, statutory undertakers and utilities,
advising on the environmental aspects of what are often critical national and international projects.
Why choose our Real Estate Environment lawyers?
Regulatory landscapes look different to individual clients, depending on their business area, priorities and stakeholder relationships.
Whether a project involves mixed-use (re)development, regeneration, infrastructure, natural resources or land assembly, we tailor our approach by working with clients to understand their objectives and the wider commercial and regulatory contexts in which the business operates.
Our specialist lawyers provide focused, relevant advice to ensure operational and project compliance; promote market-leading environmental credentials; influence the development of industry best practices; and manage any incidents (including unsubstantiated issues) with potential for civil and/or criminal liability.
We offer core Environmental services, including environmental permits, operational compliance and Environmental Impact Assessments.
We also advise on remediation and decommissioning projects, redevelopment of contaminated land and energy and infrastructure projects (including Major Project Planning and renewables).
We have expertise in transactional due diligence and liability allocation; enforcement actions and third party claims; product stewardship, health and safety, and sustainability (including health and wellbeing of buildings).
Our lawyers can also assist with water management, waste management, extended producer responsibility and end of waste, incident response management and legislation and policy interpretation.
Notable deals and highlights
- We successfully represented a corporate objector to a £400 million energy deal on product safety grounds;
- We advised a large petroleum company on liabilities associated with abandoned pipeline apparatus;
- We advised the owner of a former refinery site on the disposal of the asset for major regeneration, including advice on the environmental aspects of the disposal;
- We advised a chemical company on the disposal of a number of former production facilities, including the management and transfer of environmental risk;
- We advised a large industrial manufacturer on the application for, and amendment of, various environmental permits; and assessed environmental liabilities associated with contamination from previous operations;
- We represented an oil and gas company on the first prosecution brought by the Environment Agency for "potential" rather than "actual" damage.
Latest Real Estate Environment news and views
Sign up to our email digest