Why choose our Africa Group lawyers?Led from our London and Paris offices, supported by colleagues across our international network and partner firms in Africa, we offer the full suite of legal services to clients from corporate and tax matters through to environmental and social governance and dispute resolution advice.
We appreciate the complexity of the different legal markets throughout the continent, and offer clients localised support where they need it. The team has in-depth knowledge of national and local legal systems in Africa (including OHADA, CEDEAO-ECOWAS, UEMOA-WAEMU, CEMAC-ECCAS, COMESA).
We work with clients in a range of industries, particularly energy and natural resources, construction, public works, infrastructure, information technology, financial services, agriculture, insurance, banking, renewable energy, intellectual property, distribution and services, real estate, hospitality and leisure.
Our capabilities cover the breadth of the continent, and our history in the region means we have deep a understanding of its unique culture and nuances. We can therefore manoeuvre through the varying jurisdictions with ease, helping clients avoid being bogged down in red tape and providing a fast and efficient service.
Notable deals and highlights:
- We advised ZIZ Energie, a Chad-based integrated energy company, on a €2 million convertible round led by Energy Access Ventures (EAV), a Nairobi-based fund that invests in decentralised energy companies across Africa, with a €500,000 co-investment by Dutch entrepreneurial development bank, FMO. We also advised ZIZ on its construction contracts for the implementation of metro grids across Central Africa.
- We advised long-standing client, KEFI Minerals plc, on its acquisition and development of the Tulu Kapi gold project in Western Ethiopia, including the signing of a mining agreement with, and a US$20 million equity investment in the project by, the Government. KEFI is aiming to be the first foreign-owned and internationally-financed company to start a mine in Ethiopia.
- We assisted an Africa-based agriculture business with its corporate governance requirements, pursuant to its listing in London. This involved delivering tailored training to company officers, based on our long experience of working with African clients looking to grow their businesses by raising funds through the UK public markets.
- We acted for Brazilian EPC contractor Contracta on its infrastructure project in Ghana to expand the Kumasi Airport.
- We acted for McDermott on its much-heralded LNG Project Torque in the territorial waters of Mauritania and Senegal.