What is mixed cerebral palsy
Mixed cerebral palsy is a developmental disorder that displays as the symptoms of multiple types of cerebral palsy – spastic, dyskinetic and ataxic. Mixed cerebral palsy is caused by injury to any of the following regions of the brain:
- Motor cortex
- Pyramidal tracts
- Basal ganglia
This injury can occur before, during or after birth.
Mixed cerebral palsy signs and symptoms
Mixed cerebral palsy symptoms will depend upon the type and severity of brain damage. Common symptoms include:
- Hypertonia – still and tight muscles
- Hypotonia – loose and floppy muscles
- Reduced mobility
- Difficulty balancing
- Uncontrolled, exaggerated movements
- Difficulty with fine motor control
- Poor posture
- Impaired speech and oral movements
- Hearing and vision problems
Types of cerebral palsy
Mixed cerebral palsy can display symptoms of the following types of cerebral palsy:
- Spastic – Stiff muscles, jerky movement, and a reduced range of motion
- Dyskinetic – Muscles change from stiff to floppy, leading to uncontrolled movement and spasms
- Ataxic – Poor balance and coordination, resulting in reduced fine motor control
Our expertise in cerebral palsy cases
We are one of the UK's leading cerebral palsy and birth injury law firms. We successfully recover multi-million pound awards for our clients with cerebral palsy. We spend considerable time in ensuring that we and our experts understand each child's individual needs so we can fully quantify to ensure their future wellbeing.
We are top ranked in both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners legal directories for clinical negligence. Our team includes individuals ranked in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame, as Chambers and Partners Star Individuals, and as Leading Individuals.
Browse our recent cerebral palsy cases.
Latest news and insights
Read the latest news and insights from our medical negligence team.
Medical Negligence Review
DOWNLOAD OUR LATEST MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE REVIEW, FEATURING OUR CASE HIGHLIGHTS OVER THE PAST YEAR.Download
Awards and recognition
We are recognised in all the leading legal directories and regularly win industry awards for our work with clients.