Accident At Work Claim Solicitors | Work Accident Injury Compensation | No Win No Fee | Fieldfisher
Skip to main content

Work Accident Claims

If you or a family member have suffered a serious injury while while at work, our award-winning personal injury team can help you claim for compensation.

To speak to one of our work accident experts call 0800 358 3848 or complete our online enquiry form.

We are one of the UK's leading personal injury law firms and are experts at pursuing work accident and illness claims.

Our specialist personal injury solicitors act on a 'no win, no fee' basis. We conduct a wide range of work accident claims, including:

  • breaches of health & safety 
  • work system failure
  • infrastructure failure
  • machinery accidents
  • serious falls
  • transport accidents at work

If you suffer an injury due to a work accident, it is important that you notify your employer as soon as possible. Your employer is legally required to keep an accident book, so keep a record of your accident.

Industrial disease claims

We are also one of the UK's most experienced industrial disease team, with more than 40 years' experience pursuing claims for people suffering mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis as a result of asbestos exposure at work. Further information is available in our mesothelioma and asbestos disease section.

Directories Legal 500 and Chambers recommend us as one of the top UK law firms for personal injury work. We are committed to representing claimants living and working in the UK and abroad.

Employer responsibility

Unfortunately, accidents at work are fairly common. Whether you work in a factory, a restaurant, a shop, a farm or an office, potential dangers always exist that might cause an accident and serious injury or worse, a fatality.

All employers have a legal responsibility to provide their employees with a safe and secure workplace.

This means providing:

  • adequate equipment and materials
  • competent co-workers
  • a safe system of work
  • appropriate training and supervision

If your employer breaches their legal responsibility and you suffer a work injury, you could be entitled to make a no win no fee work accident compensation claim.

Your employer must have Employers Liability Insurance to cover them for accidents at work. If you are successful in making a no win no fee work accident claim, the company’s insurers will settle the claim, which can include medical expenses and compensation for loss of earnings.


Highly experienced professionals able to obtain brilliant results for clients, whatever the claim and whatever their needs.

Legal 500 2024

Accident at work claim FAQs

Common types of workplace injuries include injuries caused by machinery, burns to the body, and road traffic incidents.

Depending on the seriousness of the incident, the Police and the Health and Safety Executive will open an investigation. If there is a death arising from the accident, the Coroner will open an Inquest. Details of the accident should be recorded in the accident book. A report must also be sent to the HSE as soon as possible.

It is a fault based compensation system in the UK which means you must prove that your employer is responsible for the accident. Once you establish liability, i.e. blame, you must then prove your injuries and losses arise out of the wrong committed by your employer. This is called causation. You must also prove the nature and extent of your injuries and losses with factual and expert evidence.

You can claim compensation for your personal injuries sustained (both physical and psychological), rehabilitation, and loss of earnings together with all expenses reasonably incurred as a result of the accident in the work place.

An individual can bring a claim in his/her own right for compensation for his/her injuries and losses resulting from the accident in the work place. If he/she dies as a result of an accident at work his/her Partner, their children and any other family members who relied upon the Deceased may have a valid claim.

Yes, provided it is not your fault and you suffered injury and losses.

Yes, provided it is not your fault and you can prove the nature and extent of the injuries suffered and losses incurred as a result of the accident in the work place.

You need to prove blame, the nature and extent of your injuries, and your losses.

Unfortunately not, because in the UK it is a fault based compensation system. However, our advice would be to seek initial advice before reaching this conclusion, for example it may be that the requisite training wasn’t provided.

Yes. The general rule is you have three years from the date of diagnosis or three years from the date when you knew or ought to have known you were exposed to an occupational illness or disease. This is a matter for the medical experts.

Yes, provided you can establish liability i.e. blame. You will need to direct your claim to the main contractor in the first instance.

Yes, you are employed by the company and therefore have a right to sue.

Yes, if your employer believes you are unfit to fulfil your duties.

The general rule is that you must bring a claim in the UK within three years from the date of the accident. If you do not issue court proceedings within three years your claim may be barred by statute and may not be entertained by the Courts. It is possible to dis-apply/waive the three year limit but it is very difficult. It is important court proceedings are issued as soon as possiblem, especially if your employer refuses to accept responsibility.

Provided there is a strong case to answer, most firms of solicitors will offer you a conditional fee agreement which is commonly known as a "No Win No Fee" agreement. 

Yes, provided you can establish blame, and your Solicitor is prepared to accept instructions under a no win no fee agreement.

It is the employer's liability insurers who pay a Claimant's compensation and the bulk of his/her legal costs.

It really depends on how long it takes to establish liability and whether or not the medical and non-medical experts can give an opinion or prognosis on your injuries and losses into the future. The important point to note is that the general rule is you get one chance to claim. It is therefore important your claim is not rushed to an early settlement. Your claim must be run properly; it will take as long as it takes.

It depends on the type of injury you suffered and the extent of your suffering and losses as a result of that injury. Once we have obtained all of the medical and non-medical expert evidence together with details of your losses, we will be in a position to place a value on your claim.

You should instruct a solicitor as soon as possible and he/she will talk you through the process. 

A letter of claim is sent. It sets out what happened, who is responsible for the accident and describes the injuries suffered by the Claimant. Generally, a letter of claim is sent to the insurer who will investigate liability i.e. blame. Within 21 days this letter must be acknowledged by the insurer. The insurer then has three months to investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident. The insurer can respond in three ways; a) it is all our fault b) it is not our fault and here are the documents (called disclosure) to support our position or c) it is partially our fault but we expect the Claimant to accept some responsibility for their actions – this is called contributory negligence.

This is where an insurer alleges that the Claimant caused and/or contributed to the accident because of his/her actions. If the Court accept the Claimant was contributory negligence then his/her compensation will be reduced accordingly.

Coroners investigate all deaths where the cause is unknown, where there is reason to think the death may not be due to natural causes, or which need an inquiry for some other reason. A Coroner will open an Inquest following the death and then adjourn it so he/she can a) issue an interim death certificate to allow the body to be released to the family and b) to allow time for the circumstances surrounding the accident in the work place to be investigated so he/she can determine amongst other things, how the person died at work.

The HSE open an investigation if the accident caused serious injury or death.

Personal Injury Review



Contact us

For a free, no obligation call with one of our personal injury solicitors, please dial 0800 358 3848 or complete our online enquiry form.