In the early stage of a brand's lifecycle our work focuses on clearance, often regional clearance across the European Union or globally, then on planning cost-effective trade mark portfolios, and rolling out filing programmes so that the key brand identifiers can be secured across the most important markets as the brand launches.
Why choose our Trade Marks and Brands Lawyers?We understand that protecting brand value is a key priority, so we vigorously defend brands on behalf of our clients. Once established, a brand should be enforced coherently and effectively to maintain its value.
With our experience co-ordinating litigation and opposition strategies around the world, we have the expertise to help design and manage an effective global or regional strategy. While on the ground, our specialists are experts at handling enforcement matters with minimum fuss, aiming for predictable outcomes and avoiding exposure to additional risk.
We know that the task of managing protection and enforcement for a valuable, globe-spanning brand can be hugely complex and time-consuming for businesses - our goal is to reduce that burden and protect our clients' assets.
Notable deals and highlights
- We successfully represented US companies Fleischer Studios and Hearst, who own the rights to the well-known 1930s cartoon character Betty Boop, in proceedings for trade mark infringement and passing off in respect of the production and sale of unauthorised merchandise in the UK. This is now the leading case in the UK in relation to unauthorised character merchandising.
- We are defending SkyKick in trade mark infringement proceedings brought by the well-known broadcaster, Sky Plc. The high profile proceedings have reached the European Court of Justice and will become a leading case on bad faith in the EU.
- The team is managing the global (ex-US and Canada) trade mark portfolio and brand enforcement of Sazerac, a leading US alcoholic beverage company.
- We successfully represented Omega Flex in highly contentious proceedings against BSI Group (also known as the British Standards Institution) relating to the famous BSI Kitemark.
- Fieldfisher has acted for Google in a wide range of UK trade mark matters, most recently in relation to their trade marks BLINK, ANDROID and PIXEL and advised on the wider brand protection strategy.
- We acted for a world famous chocolatier and confectionery company in trade mark litigation and advised on the wider brand protection strategy in the UK.
- The team assisted a well-known British multinational automotive company in relation to various trade mark infringement and passing off disputes.
- We represented Entertainment One UK Limited in relation to General Court proceedings connected with its iconic Peppa Pig brand.
- We have acted for leading computer games software companies in the protection and enforcement of their leading brands.