Why choose our Investigations lawyers?
Cross-practice: We recognise that investigations are rarely one-dimensional. The Global Investigations group comprises leaders from our Commercial Crime, Regulatory, Civil Fraud, Employment, Health & Safety, Inquest & Public Inquiry, and Data Privacy teams. This gives our clients the reassurance of knowing they have all angles covered from the outset of any given situation.
Track record: The team is experienced in international investigations and enforcement actions. We have acted for start-ups through to household name multinationals (FTSE100, Fortune 500 and CAC40). We have built trusted relationships with regulators and prosecuting bodies both in the UK and overseas. With the benefit of our experience and relationships, we are able to devise and execute sophisticated resolution strategies.
Multi-disciplinary: Our team comprises barristers and solicitors. Our barristers have experience in both the civil and criminal court systems. Members of the team have joined the firm from US and large international law firms, the Big Four accounting firms, specialist white-collar boutique firms, and leading sets of chambers. Some have significant in-house experience whether as prosecutors, senior legal positions in international banks, or as investigations leads in listed multinational companies. This diversity of experience, skill-set, and thinking translates directly into better outcomes for our clients.
International: Our team has ‘on-the-ground’ experience conducting investigations in Europe, CIS, the Middle East, Asia Africa and the Americas. Our in-house language capabilities mean we can conduct interviews in local languages when the needs of the investigation require it.
Technology enabled: Our cutting-edge technology helps us achieve effective and efficient solutions for our clients. We have experience navigating the risks associated with conducting the most sensitive cross-border investigations without the need to travel, and have leveraged technology-assisted review and analytics systems to achieve time and cost savings for our clients without compromising the quality and effectiveness of outcomes.
Work and expertise
We act for clients across multiple sectors including energy and extractives, financial services, technology, life sciences, fast-moving consumer goods, engineering and transport, logistics, telecoms, healthcare and sport.
Our work covers allegations and concerns relating to: antitrust, bribery & corruption, money laundering, tax evasion, fraud, theft, sanctions, discrimination & harassment, and data breaches.
- Acting for Alstom in the largest contested corporate corruption case in UK history
- Acting for senior individuals as part of the Rolls-Royce bribery investigation
- Acting for a senior individual as part of the Rio Tinto corruption investigation
- Acting for Wirecard AG as part of the well-publicised cross-border investigation across nine jurisdictions in relation to allegations of fraud and money laundering.
- Conducting an independent investigation on behalf of a large international intergovernmental organisation on alleged systemic malpractice in handling harassment complaints
- Conducting an independent investigation on behalf of an English university into whistleblowing allegations relating to cyber security
- Acting for an international financial institution in connection with the internal cross-border investigation of sexual harassment allegations against a senior employee.
- Acting for two leading global investment banks on the credit default swaps, foreign exchange rates manipulation and loan syndication antitrust investigations in the EU, US and Asia
- Acting for a major Asian airline in the air cargo cartel antitrust investigation and an auto-part manufacturer on the auto-parts antitrust investigation in the EU and US.
- Acting as solicitors to public inquiries including the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse; the Manchester Arena Inquiry; the Dawn Sturgess (Salisbury Novichok poisoning) Inquiry; the UK Covid-19 Inquiry; the Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko
- Advising core participants and others involved in public inquiries including the Grenfell Tower Inquiry and the Infected Blood Inquiry
- Acting as Solicitors to the inquests into the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed; the 7/7 London Bombings; the Hillsborough Inquests and the deaths of the four men murdered by Stephen Port
- Assisting Lord Dyson in connection with his investigation into the circumstances around the Panorama interview with Diana, Princess of Wales.
Related experience and expertise
Risk advisory & compliance: Our unique experience in high-profile regulatory enforcement actions and sensitive cross-border internal investigations has allowed us to provide extraordinary perspective for our clients in relation to risk advisory, corporate compliance and ESG including through the implementation and evolution of corporate compliance programmes.
We have assisted a number of companies to successfully navigate and satisfy the terms of settlement agreements entered into with regulators including the US Department of Justice.
Training: We have provided training and advice to clients in relation to dawn raids, conducting interviews, creating investigation plans, whistleblowing, making use of technology in remote investigations, managing data in cross-border investigations, and due diligence.