My main areas of practice
As a specialist lawyer for administrative law, the focus of my work lies in advising and representing my clients in proceedings before the administrative courts and supervisory authorities.
Furthermore, I advise on legislative procedures and on the design of cooperation projects in a public context, especially in the energy sector and science. Many of the mandates I handle touch on issues of state, federal and European Union law and are therefore highly complex.
As part of my consulting services, I support my clients with a deep understanding of processes in public authorities and ministries, develop the strategy in complex procedures with them and support the digitalisation of the administration.
In addition, we are currently intensively advising on the energy crisis as well as on the Corona bridging aid, in particular on the recovery of aid as well as the preparation of final invoices.
I have represented clients in several hundred administrative (summary) proceedings before the German administrative courts and accompanied numerous cooperation projects and legislative procedures. I have also assisted clients in obtaining funding in the tens of millions.
I advise my clients in German, English and French.
I am recommended as an expert in public commercial law.
Quotes from my clients:
- "Dennis Hillemann provided excellent public law advice on the implementation of a sustainable hydrogen infrastructure project, which will also be used on an interim basis for energy security through LNG imports.", Dr Jens Schmidt, Chief Technology Officer, Tree Energy Solutions (TES-H2)
- "Dennis Hillemann has been advising us on public law on an ongoing basis for years. We appreciate his fast, pragmatic and always client-interest oriented advice and are happy to recommend him.", Joachim Hoffmeyer, Managing Director Handwerkskammer Hannover Projekt- und Servicegesellschaft mbH
I have published the following articles and columns, among others:
- Tagesspiegel, 6.9.2022: Why administrative digitisation is essential for the rule of law, Why administrative digitisation is indispensable for the rule of law - Tagesspiegel Background
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 16.8.2022: After rationing, a wave of lawsuits looms, After rationing, the wave of lawsuits looms (faz.net)
- Legal Tribune Online, 16.6.2021: Is the Federal Network Agency allowed to inform about fines?, Is the Federal Network Agency allowed to inform about fines? (lto.de)
- 3.3.2022, stb-web: Corona aid - suspected subsidy fraud?, Corona aid: Suspicion of subsidy fraud? (stb-web.de)
- Dennis Hillemann, Tanja Ehls, Ordnung der Wissenschaft 2019 The EU state aid law separation calculation in science - overview and current legal issues 22_2019_03_hillemann_wittig_separation_accounting_in_science_odw.pdf (ordnungderwissenschaft.de) (only in German)
- LSK 2013, 240704, Consequences of a lack of legal basis in the allocation of study places
- LTZ 2022, 88
- Government Technology (GovTech) - Framework Conditions for Cooperation between the Public and Private Sectors in the Area of Digitalisation (with Michael Kolain)
- NVwZ 2012, 801
- Consequences of a lack of legal basis in the allocation of study places , Essay by Dennis Hillemann, Dirk Naumann on Grünberg
- LSK 2019, 51816548
- Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies - property iSd Art. 14 GG?, Reference to the essay by Dennis Hillemann in CR 2019, 830
- CB 2020, 455
- CB contribution: Possible applications of blockchain technology in product safety law, Essay by Hillemann/Wiebe
Among other things, I am the founder of various networks and a member of various associations:
- Founder of the funding network www.foerdermittelnetzwerk.de
- Founder of the Science and Law Network www.wissenschaftundrecht.de
- Founder of the Blockchain Lawyers Network www.blockchainlawyersnetwork.com
- Own podcast "Law in the Ear" and "Law of the Future
- Member of the Hanseatic Blockchain Institute e.V.
- Member of the Hamburg Bar Association e.V.
I completed my law studies at the Law Faculty of the University of Hamburg in the 1st state examination with a focus on public law/media law and in the 2nd state examination with a focus on public law.
Before joining Fieldfisher, I worked for various other law firms, including as a partner at KPMG Law, specialising in administrative law and administrative procedural law, EU law, constitutional law, EU state aid law, subsidy law, science law, public building law and environmental law, and planning law.