Mr Watson was born in Chelmsford, Essex, in 1944. He worked in retail and then in a hardware store for many years. He began working as a plumber for Frank Wilson Plumbing & Heating Limited in 1972 and in 1975 he took the business over.
When Mr Watson was employed by Frank Wilson Plumbing & Heating Limited, some time between 1972 and 1975, he was exposed to asbestos at the Ripley Arts Centre in Bromley. He had to go into the boiler room there in order to replace a pump on the pipework, this being the pump for the central heating system.
On this job Mr Watson worked in a confined space in the boiler room. The boiler and associated pipes were lagged with asbestos material. Some of the lagging was already powdery and loose when Mr Watson began his work. He remembered that there was dust on the floor that had fallen down from the pipes over the years. In removing and replacing the pump Mr Watson disturbed and shook the pipework and was exposed to asbestos dust, which he inhaled.
Importantly, Mr Watson was not given any warnings about the dangers of working with asbestos, nor was he provided with any protective equipment, even though low levels of asbestos had been known to cause serious injury since 1965.
In about September 2014 Mr Watson developed a pain on the left side of his torso. He thought he had strained a muscle picking up a heavy weight. His GP referred him for an x-ray. He underwent further procedures and investigations before he was, sadly, diagnosed as suffering from mesothelioma.
Mr Watson contacted Andrew Morgan for assistance in February 2015. Andrew met Mr Watson and took a detailed statement from him. It seemed to Andrew unlikely that the insurer for Frank Wilson Plumbing & Heating Limited would ever be found so he made a claim to the new Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).
DMPS accepted that there had been negligent exposure which had caused Mr Watson's mesothelioma and agreed that no insurer had been found. In April they made an award to Mr Watson of £128,548, which included a contribution towards legal costs. However, because Andrew had conducted the case so efficiently Mr Watson was able to keep some of the costs contribution for himself.
Mr Watson went on to say:
"I did not expect any compensation due to the fact I was either self employed or sub-contracted. I was so surprised to get the compensation; it was only six weeks from when I first saw you".
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher attends Mesothelioma UK Ladies Lunch
Bridget Collier, Shaheen Mosquera and Sarah Wolf from Fieldfisher's specialist asbestos team enjoyed Mesothelioma UK's Ladies Lunch at the Manchester Macdonald Hotel held on International Women's Day.
Johnson & Johnson update: Jury awards damages to woman suffering mesothelioma from asbestos in talc
A jury in California this week awarded $29m to a woman who said asbestos in Johnson & Johnson's talcum-powder-based products caused her mesothelioma cancer.
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity