Andrew Morgan negotiated a settlement of almost £200,000 for the family of a man who died from mesothelioma.
We recovered £197,564 compenstion for Mrs Nixon, whose husband, Len, was exposed to asbestos during his working life.
Len was exposed to asbestos in his employment with a number of companies, but the heaviest exposure occurred when he was employed as a factory maintenance fitter working for "Gloy" between about February 1977 and June 1979.
Len did repairs around the factory. This involved repairing valves on steam pipes, which he did himself. He removed the asbestos lagging around the valves in order to gain access. He cut the asbestos lagging with a hacksaw.
Debris fell to the floor and into his hair and into his face as he was cutting from underneath. The lagging came away in chunks and crumbled like chalk. Len repaired valves in this way on only a few occasions in this employment.
The company manufactured "Gloy" adhesive that came in triangular bottles, with distinctive red applicators, that have been in widespread use in schools for decades.
The company was subsequently taken over by Associated Adhesives Limited which itself ceased trading many years ago.
Andrew tracked down the corporate history of Gloy and of Associated Adhesives and found that liabilities for claims such as this now rested with National Starch & Chemical (Holdings) Limited, but the solicitors acting for Gloy Limited and its successors denied they had any involvement in the claim.
Sadly Len died at age 68 before any insurers admitted they might be involved but Andrew was subsequently able to pursue the claim on behalf of Len's family. He was on the point of issuing court proceedings when the defendants made their first offer.
Andrew was able to negotiate an increase to a total of £197,564, which Mrs Nixon was happy to accept.
This offer included payment of £18,833 to St Joseph’s Hospice, Hackney, for the charity-funded care that they provided to Len during his illness, one of the largest payments of this kind.
You can discuss your mesothelioma compensation claim with any member of our mesothelioma compensation claims team on freephone 0800 358 3848, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher attends Mesothelioma UK Ladies Lunch
Bridget Collier, Shaheen Mosquera and Sarah Wolf from Fieldfisher's specialist asbestos team enjoyed Mesothelioma UK's Ladies Lunch at the Manchester Macdonald Hotel held on International Women's Day.
Johnson & Johnson update: Jury awards damages to woman suffering mesothelioma from asbestos in talc
A jury in California this week awarded $29m to a woman who said asbestos in Johnson & Johnson's talcum-powder-based products caused her mesothelioma cancer.
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case