NR v. Eastern Gas Board
Mr NR was employed by the Eastern Gas Board as a fitter from 1955-1963. From 1963-1973 he worked on a self employed basis. However, during this period for about 90% of the time he worked exclusively on a contractual basis for the Eastern Gas Board.
Throughout 1955-1973 Mr NR was exposed to asbestos whilst undertaking his work as a gas fitter.
The Eastern Gas Board accepted that Mr NR was employed by them from 1955 to 1963, but denied that they engaged Mr NR as a gas fitting contractor and required Mr NR to prove it.
The Gas Board confirmed that even if Mr NR could prove that they contracted him, he remained responsible for his own safety and should have provided his own respiratory equipment and taken his own precautions against inhalation of asbestos fibres. We issued Court proceedings and obtained Judgment against the Eastern Gas Board, but the Eastern Gas Board alleged that Mr NR was contributory negligent and for this reason they refused to pay Mr NR 100% of his compensation. The Eastern Gas Board argued that there should be a reduction for the years that Mr NR was self-employed.
During the course of proceedings Mr NR was offered compensation by the Eastern Gas Board on a reduced basis. However, we advised Mr NR to reject it. We are happy to report that the Eastern Gas Board, due to our persistence, eventually offered Mr NR compensation on a 100% basis.
Accordingly Mr NR received his compensation within his lifetime.
Mr NR was an active and popular member of the Federation of Small Businesses. After receiving the compensation he commented:
"When we first considered claiming for compensation my family were very concerned about the possible stress this may cause me.
"However, I found the process relatively stress-free and everything seemed to happen quite quickly.
"You visited me at home only once to take a statement and everything else was completed by telephone calls and letters. The case was brought to a mutual agreement out of Court which I was very pleased about.
"I found that everything was handled with efficiency and speed. I would be very happy to recommend Fieldfisher to anyone needing to claim compensation."
For further information or if you believe you have a mesothelioma compensation claim, please contact a member of our mesothelioma claims team on freephone 0800 358 3848, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case