Jonathan Zimmern has successfully concluded a case on behalf of PA, who was left with the 1cm fibre tip of electronic laser equipment in his leg following varicose vein surgery at the private Highgate Hospital in north London, run by Aspen Healthcare.
Having originally been told by his doctor that the surgery in March 2015 to treat unpleasant varicose veins had gone well, Mr A subsequently suffered ongoing pain in his left leg. Despite telling the surgeon that something was not right at five outpatient appointments over the next few months, no further investigation was carried out and the surgeon's notes state that the wound was healing nicely. Mr A's GP prescribed antibiotics to treat what was now an infected wound.
Finally, in May, a CT scan revealed that a foreign body had been left in Mr A's leg during the surgery and he underwent further surgery to remove it. Unfortunately, the wound became re-infected and Mr A developed cellutis, requiring a further stay in the hospital to administer intravenous antibiotics. He was finally discharged in June 2015, three months after the first surgery.
An investigation conducted by the hospital conceded that both the surgeon and the nursing staff had not sufficiently checked the laser equipment before and after the surgery and therefore had acted negligently and caused Mr A to need further surgery and further hospital admission to treat the infected wound. Hospital guidelines require 'examination of each sharp must be made before and after use' to prevent such mistakes. Leaving a foreign body inside a patient following surgery is listed as a 'Never Event' in medical guidelines.
PA instructed Jonathan Zimmern to investigate his claim. He instructed a Vascular Surgeon who was critical of the treatment provided. Jonathan took steps to quantify PA's claim and, following negotiations with the Hospital, an out-of-court settlement of £20,000 was agreed.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
£37m settlement for boy who suffered catastrophic brain injury at Watford General
The press has widely reported Paul McNeil's claim on behalf of a six-year-old boy who contracted the herpes simplex virus at Watford General hospital in 2012, which led to a brain fever.
Fieldfisher – Manchester Clinical Negligence Team boosted by the recruitment of Lindsay Holt
Fieldfisher, which boasts a strong clinical negligence team in Manchester headed by Jenny Urwin, have boosted its practice with the recruitment of Lindsay Holt.
Sepsis deaths recorded in hospitals rose by more than a third in two years
In a heart-breaking reminder of the tragedy of sepsis, William Meade's mother Melissa commented in the press this month following a report that sepsis deaths have risen by more than a third in two years.
Caron Heyes reacts to worrying report of death of twins in hospitals
An extremely concerning report from the Twins and Multiple Births Association (Tamba), commissioned by the Department of Health, has revealed that key recommendations to ensure the safety of multiple births are not being followed by many hospitals.