Jonathan was a successful business man who had consulted the defendant, a consultant neurosurgeon, privately in connection with neck pain.
On 18 October 2001, during an operation on his cervical spine, the defendant severed the right 5th and caused trauma to the right 6th cervical nerve roots.
As a result, Jonathan suffered severe disablement to his right (dominant) arm and shoulder and consequently the use of his hand.
Jonathan underwent remedial surgery in March 2002 and although he has made a remarkable recovery, he remains significantly disabled.
- was negligent in that he undertook surgery when there was no necessity to do so
- performed surgery which carried greater risks owing to the fact that the same surgeon had operated 14 weeks previously in the same area
- used a technique that carried greater risk
- failed to stop the surgery when he encountered significant scar tissue
- failed to protect the C5 and C6 nerve roots
- failed to recognise that he had severed the C5 nerve (which he was seeking to decompress) during the course of the surgery.
The defendant denied liability until service of the defence. At this point, liability was admitted but there was a significant difference between the parties as to the valuation of the claim.
Both parties entered into settlement negotiations. The case was eventually settled for £600,000, which Jonathan was happy to accept.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher hosts 2018 AvMA Charity Quiz
The Medical Negligence and Personal Injury Teams at Fieldfisher were delighted to host the annual AvMA Charity Quiz Night, raising nearly £4,000 for AvMA.
£37m settlement for boy who suffered catastrophic brain injury at Watford General
The press has widely reported Paul McNeil's claim on behalf of a six-year-old boy who contracted the herpes simplex virus at Watford General hospital in 2012, which led to a brain fever.
Fieldfisher – Manchester Clinical Negligence Team boosted by the recruitment of Lindsay Holt
Fieldfisher, which boasts a strong clinical negligence team in Manchester headed by Jenny Urwin, have boosted its practice with the recruitment of Lindsay Holt.