Fokhor Chowdhury was aged 52 when he died at home on 23 January 2012. He is survived by his wife and 4 children, the youngest of whom was only 5 at the time of his death.
On the evening of Saturday 21 January 2012, Fokhor collapsed at home with breathlessness and abdominal pain. His family dialled 999 and called for an ambulance. A 'Single Responder' paramedic attended, followed by an ambulance crew. They assessed Fokhor for an hour before advising him that his symptoms were secondary to gastric problems and he did not need to attend hospital. He was advised to take Gaviscon and attend his GP after the weekend if he needed to. He died in his living room 36 hours later.
The death was reported to the Coroner, who instructed a post mortem examination to be done. This identified that Fokhor had died from a heart attack.
His devastated family raised a complaint at his treatment, and the Trust completed an internal investigation. This was critical of the treatment Fokhor had received by the paramedics who attended.
- There had been a failure to carry out and document a more detailed assessment when the paramedics attended on 21 January 2012
- They should have taken him to hospital for treatment
- If he had been taken to hospital, a myocardial infarction (heart attack) would have been diagnosed, and he would have received treatment for the same (angioplasty)
- On the balance of probabilities, he would have survived the cardiac arrest and been discharged home
The Defendant admitted breach of duty and causation.
Proceedings were issued on 12 February 2016. Expert evidence was obtained and exchanged on life expectancy. Following lengthy negotiations, a claim was settled for a six figure sum.
An Approval Hearing was held in March 2017 to formalise part of the payment made on behalf of his youngest daughter, who is now still only aged 9.
After successfully concluding the case on behalf of Fokhor's family, Arti said, "This was the first time Mr Chowdhury had called an ambulance, and he put his faith in the paramedics who attended. They not only carried out an inadequate assessment, but dismissed his concerns to the extent that he was reluctant to call for help again when his symptoms persisted. His death could have been avoided if they had taken him to hospital, and he would still be here with his family today."
This case was featured in the Evening Standard - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/payout-for-widow-whose-husband-died-of-heart-attack-and-was-told-to-take-gaviscon-a3509786.html
- You can speak to our medical negligence solicitors on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the short enquiry form
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Government promise to improve midwife/mother relationship can't come soon enough
The Health and Social Care Secretary has announced an important maternity initiative that will hopefully reduce the number of baby death cases in the future.
Fieldfisher boosts its leading medical negligence team with partner Jenny Urwin joining in March
Leading medical negligence lawyers Fieldfisher has hired Jenny Urwin, Slater and Gordon Lawyers' Manchester head of clinical negligence.
Substantial six-figure damages for permanent bilateral vocal cord palsy injury at Hillingdon Hospital
Arti Shah has successfully concluded a permanent bilateral vocal cord palsy case for a substantial sum against Hillingdon Hospital.
Sepsis: lack of funding for vital health services must not deter parents from seeking help
Sepsis hit the headlines again last week following the tragic death of 18-year-old Melissa Whiteley.