Paul McNeil won a substantial sum of compensation for the widow of a 38 year old man who died from chicken pox related pneumonia after doctors repeatedly failed to diagnose and treat his condition.
Dominic died in hospital in November 2005 from a complication of chicken pox. He had to wait 55 hours to get a diagnosis and a further 12 hours to receive the medication that would have prevented his death.
Dominic, who was married with a young son, developed a rash and a high temperature in November 2005 at home. He was not diagnosed with chicken pox (or any illness) by two GPs, NHS Direct and a number of junior doctors from James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough where he was eventually admitted on a Saturday morning. All of them failed to recognise the classic symptoms of the chicken pox.
Eventually, on the Monday morning, he was seen by a dermatologist, two days after his admission approximately 5 days after the rash developed.
The dermatologist immediately diagnosed chicken pox. Further delays by the nurses and pharmacy meant that Dominic was not given the necessary medication (acyclovir) for 12 hours.
Sadly, he went on to develop chicken pox related pneumonia and died five days after his admission to hospital.
Dominic's widow instructed Paul McNeil to represent her in a claim against the James Cook Hospital. She had been unable to find any solicitors in the North East to take her case on a no win no fee basis.
The claim settled just before going to trial with the hospital agreeing to pay a substantial sum in compensation to her and her son.
After the case, Dominic’s wife said:
"I would wholeheartedly recommend Paul to anyone seeking to prove a medical negligence claim. He worked extremely conscientiously on my behalf and continually reassured me, despite the whole process being very long and involved (nearly 3 years, with a mountain of paperwork), despite the obvious distress of going over and over traumatic events, and despite my persistent worries about the ongoing costs involved.
"I believe that Paul and our Barrister, Henry Witcomb, secured the best possible settlement for my case and I am very glad I trusted their confidence."
"The failure of doctors in the community and in hospital to make a diagnosis led to serious delays in giving him the medication that would have halted the spread of the chicken pox virus and ultimately prevented his death. This settlement will not make up for the family’s loss but will help secure the financial position for the Dominic’s widow and son."
- You can speak to our medical negligence solicitors on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete our short enquiry form
All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Jeremy Hunt admits 'deeply flawed' patient safety with NHS staff 'terrified' to admit mistakes
Health secretary Jeremy Hunt combined positive news that the Prime Minister has finally committed to increasing NHS funding with an admission that he has failed to improve patient safety.
Fieldfisher boosts its leading medical negligence team with partner Jenny Urwin joining in March
Leading medical negligence lawyers Fieldfisher has hired Jenny Urwin, Slater and Gordon Lawyers' Manchester head of clinical negligence.
A Face in the Crowd: Maxillofacial Trauma Conference
Fieldfisher is pleased to be running a conference in London on the 15th March 2018 to discuss different aspects of maxillofacial injuries.
Medical Negligence and Personal Injury Teams top the Legal 500 rankings
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence teams have been listed tier 1 in the Legal 500 rankings.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case