I am a leading claimant clinical negligence lawyer and head of the Manchester clinical negligence team. I have extensive experience in all varieties of claimant medical negligence, but particularly maximum severity claims including where adults or children have suffered brain injury, cerebral palsy, amputation, loss of vision/blindness, spinal and other neurological injuries. I also specialise in wrongful birth claims some of which relate to children with Down Syndrome and/or severe congenital conditions such as spina bifida and chromosomal abnormalities.
I am known for successfully concluding complex high value claims, acting for clients throughout England and Wales. My inspiration is my clients and my focus to achieve the best possible outcome to help ameliorate the impact of their injury as far as possible.
I am a Clinical Negligence Specialist Panel member of both the Association of Victims of Medical Accidents (AvMA) and The Law Society, reflecting my expertise.
I am also a Senior Litigator of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and a Member of Manchester Law Society.
I continue to be recognised as a Leader in the Clinical Negligence field by both Legal 500 (leading individual) and Chambers (Band 1).
Chambers and Partners 2017 - “Jenny is academically bang-on, very diplomatic and intelligent.”, “She has the ability to talk to anyone from any walk of life and gets stuck in and is an active partner in conducting litigation.”
Legal 500 2017 - “highly intelligent, utterly professional and very determined."
I am regularly invited to lecture on clinical negligence issues including speaking at AvMA training events, lecturing on the MA in Medical Ethics and Law at the University of Manchester and on legal issues to medics, case managers, treating therapists and charities.
Types of cases include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Acquired brain injury in both adults and children
- Spinal injuries
- Wrongful birth claims (for example relating to children with Down Syndrome, spina bifida, brain and other serious congenital conditions)
- Loss vision/blindness
- Neurological injuries
- Fatal medical accidents
- Birth injuries
Jenny has secured multiple million pound settlements including:
- £30m settlement for a young girl with cerebral palsy due to hypoxia at birth as a result of a negligent delay in her delivery
- £24m settlement for young boy with cerebral palsy due to hypoxia at birth as a result of a failure to deliver despite a deterioration in his heart rate
- £12.2m settlement for cerebral palsy twins who both suffered brain injurybecause they were over ventilated in SCBU after their birth.
- £7.3m cerebral palsy claim for incorrect calculation of the due date leading to premature delivery and consequent brain injury of one twin
- £7.25m for wrongful birth claim for a child with severe congenital brain abnormalities which should have been diagnosed antenatally
- £7m cerebral palsy claim for delay in delivering a baby despite an abnormal CTG trace leading to brain injury at birth
- £6.9m cerebral palsy claim for failure to act upon an abnormal CTG trace; leading to lack of oxygen at birth and brain injury
- £6.8m for a young mother of two who suffered brain injury when giving birth after a delay in responding to a circulatory collapse brought about by a high spinal block (epidural)
- £6.5m cerebral palsy claim for failing to deliver after fetal distress in pregnancy
- £6.4m for a wrongful birth case for a Down Syndrome girl who was also born with serious congenital internal physical abnormalities
- £6.2m for a young boy with cerebral palsy due to failure to manage aorto-caval compression during labour
- £5m for a young man who suffered a brain injury and blindness after a delay in diagnosing a brain tumour
- £3.2m cerebral palsy claim for delaying the delivery of a second twin
- £1.5m award for the wrongful birth of Down Syndrome twin girls
- £1m for a woman who suffered neurological & spinal injury following surgery
- £890,000 for a man who suffered a stroke after a failure to monitor and treat his blood pressure
What others say…
Jenny Urwin demonstrates extensive expertise in wrongful birth and birth injury claims, including cerebral palsy cases. She is additionally adept at matters involving spinal cord injuries. Market commentators consider her to be an "extremely impressive clinical negligence litigator who is always very on top of the facts and the law."
Jenny Urwin is always thoroughly on top of the case and determined to get the best possible result for her client.
Jenny Urwin is lauded by market commentators for her considerable expertise in wrongful birth cases, as well as claims for catastrophic brain injuries suffered due to birth trauma and delays in diagnosis. "No stone is left unturned and her attention to detail is second to none," reveals one client, while another says: "She gives us confidence in what we are doing and guides us through the litigation process."
Jenny Urwin, who is tactically astute, tough, efficient and highly professional. Her clients are immensely loyal to her.
Jenny Urwin is building an impressive team of experienced clinical negligence litigators including Julia Hamilton and Claire Horton. The team promises to make Fieldfisher one of the leading clinical negligence firms in the North of England.