I have broad experience in commercial disputes, domestically and internationally. My key expertise is in commercial/corporate disputes, domestic and international trade disputes, and claims involving fraud.
I specialise in assisting our clients to retrieve hidden assets in highly complex structures and have developed an in-depth understanding of current tactics, strategies and best practice which will facilitate successful recovery actions.
I have particular experience in advising large international companies and HNW individuals on a variety of business critical issues including contractual, shareholder, fraud, negligence, regulatory and whistle blower disputes around the world.
I act for clients in the English High Court, in international arbitrations (including LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, ICSID and ad hoc arbitrations), and in support of legal proceedings in other jurisdictions.
Representative work includes:
- Leading a team defending a USD 2bn+ ICC arbitration claim in Geneva concerning alleged breaches of a telecoms licence by an African state.
- Advising a PE House on a Euro 100m fraud claim against the former CEO of a subsidiary – obtaining injunctive relief from the English High Court to freeze the fraudster's assets. The relief was obtained to support the underlying proceedings in Italy.
- Leading a team acting for five real estate owners in arbitration proceedings under UNCITRAL rules claiming compensation for the expropriation of investments by the Russian Government.
- Acting for the subsidiary of a publicly listed company in challenging the defective award of a UK government contract worth £400m.
- Advising entrepreneurial investors on shareholders disputes
- Advising numerous SMEs on challenging NHS and local government procurement processes including in the healthcare, education, technology and transport sectors.
What others say…
"Alexandra Underwood a superstar partner – one of the few that I would trust with any matter." I am also described as "very organised and very approachable" and our team approach is described as "pragmatic whilst making sure that they protect and advance their clients’ interests".
Particularly good, extremely smart and a pleasure to work with.
Tenacious, Very smart and Cut to the chase.