I have experience advising on a range of direct and indirect taxation disputes. I work with all industry sectors, and both companies and private individuals.
I have particular expertise advising on employment related taxation issues (including IR35, employment status for tax and PAYE) and private client taxation issues (including residence, domicile and remittance related disputes).
I am a member of Fieldfisher's specialist IR35 team.
In addition, I have extensive experience advising on complex and high value professional negligence claims relating to tax. I am a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
My recent and current cases include:
- Desmond Higgins and the Commissioners for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs  EWCA Civ 1860. A case concerning the meaning of the ‘period of ownership’ for principal private residence relief from capital gains tax.
- Acting for an ultra-high net worth individual in relation to a professional negligence claim against a national accountancy firm, as regards incorrect personal tax advice.
- Advising an international company on a multi-million pound employment status for tax dispute, concerning the status of several hundred off-payroll workers under PAYE rules and tax at stake in excess of £50m.
- Representing a media personality in relation to an IR35 dispute.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in relation to a voluntary disclosure of tax irregularities to HMRC and associated litigation.
The vast majority of matters in which I am engaged are settled without recourse to tribunals or courts, mediation also being an option.
I have a proven ability to provide clear concise advice that is understandable and intelligible to both legal and non-legal audiences. I have been praised for providing "grounded, nuanced, realistic" and "focused" advice.