Why choose our Tax Disputes and Investigations lawyers?
We advise individuals and companies on all aspects of investigations and enquiries undertaken by HMRC. The vast majority of disputes on which we are instructed settle, often on advantageous terms for our clients. Where settlement cannot be achieved, we litigate and have an excellent success record, from the Tribunals up to the Supreme Court.
advise on cross-border tax issues, particularly in the EU, and have had conduct
of many references to the CJEU. We are multi-lingual, advising in English,
French, and German. In conjunction with our network of European offices, we
advise clients on tax matters in France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and Spain.
We are consistently highly-ranked in Chambers and Legal 500 and have more ranked contentious tax partners than any other firm in the UK. Clients praise us for our technical and procedural expertise, commerciality, and understanding of their business needs.
We also offer a range of funding options for contentious tax clients, including fixed fees and contingent arrangements.
Notable Cases and Work
- Autogas (Europe) Ltd v Ochocki  9 WLUK 72. Successful defence of a multi-million pound claim brought by a liquidator that alleged knowing assistance in a VAT fraud committed against HMRC.
- R, on the application of Vacation Rentals (UK) Limited v HM Revenue and Customs  STC 251. Successful judicial review that prescribes the parameters of when taxpayers can rely on HMRC's published guidance.
- The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs v Desmond Higgins  STC 2312. The team acted for Mr. Higgins at the First-tier Tribunal, Upper Tribunal and Court of Appeal, resulting in him succeeding in his claim for Principal Private Residence Relief. The decision clarifies that the relief is available for the period between exchange and completion.
The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs v Invamed Group Limited and Others (C-198/15). Representative group litigation on behalf of a consortium of mobility scooter companies that is developing customs duty law in this area across the EU. The CJEU's decision in the group's favour was released in May 2016. The decision of the Court of Appeal in the group's favour was released in February 2020.
Most of our matters are settled without recourse to the courts and remain confidential. Recent examples of such work, and current matters, include:
- Settlement of a claim against a US law firm for fraudulent misrepresentation in respect of a tax geared investment structure
- Appeals against HMRC's imposition of tax charges in respect of "tax avoidance schemes"
- Advising in respect of Accelerated Payment Notices and Follower Notices
- Development of a virtual LLP concept that is enabling well over 1,000 investors in film structures to participate in representative appeals to the First-tier Tribunal
- Advising businesses and individuals in relation to IR35
- Advising SRA and FCA regulated individuals in relation to COP8 and COP9 investigations into their personal tax affairs
- Advising on and conducting tax-related professional negligence claims
- Assisting businesses during HMRC searches under warrant at their offices.
- Assisting (including at interviews under caution) individuals who have been accused of cheating the public revenue
Latest tax disputes and investigations news and views
Sign up to our email digest