My work typically involves working closely with clients to identify, assess and prioritise key contractual and/or regulatory risk and impact issues, relating to their business operations and/or service provision; and then structuring and implementing effective risk controls and mitigation routes, to enable them to deliver against their strategic and key business outcomes.
I have extensive experience acting for supplier- and customer-side clients across the private, public and third sector. Clients include listed companies (FTSE250 and AIM), multi-nationals, VC/PE backed businesses, UK central government, devolved governments, universities and registered charities.
My key sectors include Tech/telecoms, advanced manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, financial services/fintech, food & drink, health/medtech, life science, pharma and retail.
Areas of Expertise:
- Strategic sourcing, vendor selection, contract management and exit arrangements;
- Business change and digital transformation projects (including BPOs, BPR and RPA);
- Complex IT/tech, data driven and data centre infrastructure & services arrangements;
- Communications infrastructure & services (e.g. full fibre/wireless, SD-WAN, 5G, satellite);
- Cybersecurity and privacy - strategy, compliance and breach management;
- Software (e.g. licensing, support services, bundling, open source) & systems integration;
- Cloud/edge computing services - SaaS, IaaS, PaaS & ‘as-a-Service’ new business models;
- Emerging tech – Artificial Intelligence, ethics & automation (e.g. RPA); Internet of Things (IoT)/digital twin; blockchain, smart contracts, digital assets, tokenisation & NFTs;
- Digital autonomous transport
- Smart cities, factories & manufacturing (industry 4.0);
- Tech/IP rich innovation strategy, protection, management and monetisation; and
- UK/EU competition law and State aid.
Wider industry experience & insights
I am dual qualified as a solicitor and an IT/telecoms consultant engineer, with over 25 years of legal, tech/business change consulting and strategic leadership experience (including as a CIO, management board member, NED and international committee chair).
I am an Industrial Professor at the University of Bristol Law School; past Visiting Professor of Entrepreneurship; and a part-time, industry sponsored, PhD candidate at Bristol Law School. My research area focusses on certain legal, regulatory and engineering design challenges presented by digital autonomous safety critical systems.
In addition, I am a technical expert, sitting on ISO/IEC (international), CEN/CENELEC (EU) and BSI (UK) standards development committees for AI; DLT/blockchain; ICT, IoT/digital twins; digital Identity, privacy & cybersecurity; and smart and sustainable cities; and an editorial board of the 'Communications Law Journal' (Bloomsbury Publishing).