I advise on legal aspects of deals: preparation, organisation, strategy, drafting, tactics, negotiating, reviewing, execution & completion of transactions. My clients range from entrepreneurial founders, owner-managed or family businesses through to international corporate groups and financial investors. I have particular experience in helping businesses internationalising (especially involving the US) or growing at pace, particularly where innovation or technology are involved, always with a focus on maximising value & managing risk. I pride myself on providing timely, cost-effective, concise, pragmatic & robust legal advice in a commercial context that is of direct practical value delivered in a personable and dependable manner. With +23 years of experience, I focus on:
* M&A - buy & sell side mergers, acquisitions & disposals of shares, assets & businesses - involving strategic/trade, financial/PE & other buyers/sellers - both domestic & international (transatlantic & cross-border)
* Emerging Companies & Venture Capital - fundraises, investments & strategic partnerships - especially Venture Capital, Growth Equity & Private Equity - from late seed, EIS/VCT, Series A, B, C & beyond to exit, including convertible loan notes, options, warrants & secondary sell downs
* Legal Due Diligence, including vendor DD & vendor assistance, coordinating specialists across disciplines & territories
* Joint Ventures & Shareholders' Governance, including in a fundraising, family, disputes, real estate, market entry or succession context
* Management Advisory & incentivisation plans, including growth shares
* Equity Capital Markets transactions particularly on AIM, including initial public offerings (IPOs), private placements, rights issues and other secondary offerings
* Carve Outs, Structuring & Reorganisations, including returns of capital, share exchanges, business transfers, demergers & corporate simplification
I have worked:
* in large and mid market international law firms;
* in-house as GC & Head of M&A leading a multi-disciplinary team for a PE-backed global FinTech software vendor; and
* at a “Big 4” practice leading the UK Legal Deals and Private Business team.
I regularly project manage complex deals as transaction counsel even when there is no nexus to the UK & I've worked around the globe with an appreciation of local sensitivities.
What others say…
Thomas Colmer is particularly noted for his substantial experience in software, life sciences and fintech mandates.
An impressive mix of experience, technical ability and legal expertise, coupled with a pragmatic approach that helped us finalise terms with a rather aggressive and difficult seller. Noteworthy collaboration with their assurance and tax colleagues on due diligence and acquisition structuring issues.
Thomas Colmer is outstanding at bringing his extensive deal experience to bear on difficult negotiations.
Thomas is patient and eloquent, technically very sound, and has a very practical commercial approach. A pleasure to work with.
Excellent legal competence and coordination with other departments.
Thomas Colmer is commercial, wholly reliable, and extremely responsive.
Strong knowledge, great experience, engaged and interested.
Personal interest in success, keen understanding of our business priorities.
Thomas Colmer gives very practical advice - he's transparent, responsive and has great attention to detail.