My practice focuses on technology and fintech companies, with an emphasis on US and Japanese inward investment, private equity, venture capital, M&A, equity capital markets and general corporate advice.
The transactions I tend to work on often involve multiple targets with global structures and many require the interaction of competing governing laws.
I am regularly quoted in the business and technology press, commenting on topics such as blockchain, cryptocurrencies, software as a service (SaaS), fintech, sporttech and digital health.
My work typically involves advising clients on various complicated cross-border exits/acquisitions. Recent representative transactions include advising:
- SymphonyAI on its acquisition from BAe Systems plc of the financial crime platform NetReveal;
- Iponweb Holding Limited on its $350m exit from a global adtech business to Nasdaq-listed Criteo SA;
- Glory Global Solutions (International) Limited on its €200m acquisition of 80% of Acrelec Group S.A.S., the French developer of the kiosks used by McDonald's and other quick serve restaurants in their drive-thru restaurants;
- Blue Prism Group PLC on its £80 million acquisition of Thoughtonomy in the RPA space;
- Elektron Technology plc on its disposal of the Bulgin business via a share sale of Elektron Technology UK Limited to Equistone Private Equity for £105 million;
- A Tier 1 technology consultancy on over 10 acquisitions and post-merger integration;
- Advising part VC-backed Venda Group Limited on the sale of SaaS and e-commerce company Venda Limited to NetSuite Inc.;
- Assisting Tokyo Stock Exchange-listed Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of Wahanda (now Treatwell); and
- Advising Fuse Universal on various Series investments from major US private equity backers and venture debt.
I am ranked as a Global Leader for Blockchain, Telecoms and Media by Who's Who Legal 2022 Tim Bird (whoswholegal.com); and in Legal 500 for TMT: Fintech and M&A: Lower Mid-Market deals, £50M-£500M.
What others say…
Tim Bird did a great job of steering our acquisition recently, dealing with a large team and multiple jurisdictions. We felt we were not only in safe hands when it came to the complex structure and documentation but also when it came to the more sensitive cultural challenges inevitably involved.