Having been a business owner and Director, she understands the organisational challenges of running a business and the need for legal services to be delivered in a commercial, pragmatic and responsive way.
Ranjit prides herself on getting the job done and her approach to issues is creative and solution focused. She is a trusted adviser, and critical friend to clients in various sectors, many of whom she has worked with since the beginning of her legal career.
Ranjit advises on all aspects of employment law and has a particular interest in helping businesses manage change. This may involve transformation projects, setting up new offices in the UK or abroad, or improving culture and productivity.
Ranjit is regularly invited by clients to speak to boards and non-executive directors on a range of topics to assist them lead their organisations through change. She also supports in-house legal teams, HR teams and compliance teams as well as managers.
Ranjit is directly contactable for queries from employers, including those based abroad, who require prompt, clear interpretations of opinions on UK employment law landscape.
Ranjit is a member of Fieldfisher Specialist IR35 Team and the Inclusiveness, Diversity and Culture (IDC) Team.
1. International pharmaceutical company – Advising on major changes to terms and conditions of employment affecting over 20,000 employees in the UK, providing advice during the scoping stage to identify potential issues and thereafter training managers and employee representatives, reviewing and amending board presentations, subsequently successfully advising on litigation brought by employees who were dismissed and did not want to be rehired on the new terms.
2. International life sciences company – Advising on the status of over 200 contractors, putting together a project management team comprising Fieldfisher lawyers and in-house lawyers and training managers and in-house legal teams on IR35 assessments, status determinations and dealing with challenges from individual contractors, working with Fieldfisher's tax team to successfully advise the business on its compliance with IR35.
3. International infrastructure company – Advising the CEO on the transformation of central services from two distinct companies within a group into a single service, identifying people to lead the project, assessing how the shared services could work, and assisting with employee issues arising during the consultation process.
4. Major airline – Advising on its relationship with the recognised trade union, including pay negotiations, collective bargaining and resolving issues before any industrial action, advising on the relocation of employees from the UK to other European locations.
5. An engineering company – Training managers and the HR team on health and safety, bribery, whistleblowing, corporate manslaughter, and accidents at work. The aim of the training was to change the culture of the business to reduce the number of accidents and create an environment where employees would 'speak-up'.
6. Major global accountancy firm – Advising on setting up a mentoring programme and thereafter training over 200 mentors and mentees on how to develop a successful mentoring programme, including reverse mentoring.
7. Various international organisations – Advising on inclusiveness and diversity surveys, including complying with privacy and employment laws when processing personal data.
What others say…
Superbly knowledgeable, confident and quick witted" and "thorough, analytical and clear", who gives "clear, thorough and commercially realistic advice and always gives you her prompt attention" as well as "good hands-on approach to problem solving