My role involves guiding organisations through investigations led by the police and other regulatory bodies, as well as providing legal representation during any subsequent enforcement action. I also have experience of handling Public Inquiries, Coronial Inquests, and independent investigations on behalf of boards, such as following whistleblowing claims.
I am a recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 for 'Health and Safety' in the North West and have been recognised in particular for my work on Public Inquiries and Inquests.
I regularly advise companies operating in the events, entertainment, hospitality, and sports industries, and therefore have an understanding of the unique challenges faced by owners and operators of regulated alcohol and entertainment premises, particularly on matters relating to the Security Industry Authority (SIA) and counter-terrorism laws.
Given the nature of my work, I have encountered clients facing a range of sensitive circumstances, such as suicide in the workplace and acts of terrorism, and I am acutely aware of how distressing any criminal or regulatory action can be for individuals within a company. My focus, therefore, is not only to assist my clients in navigating the complex legal landscape of investigations and enforcement, but to do so with compassion, sensitivity, and in acknowledgement of the inherent emotional challenges faced.
Public Inquiries and Inquests
- Representing a Core Participant in the Manchester Arena Bombing Public Inquiry.
- Representing a Core Participant in the Grenfell Tower Public Inquiry and individuals in the subsequent criminal investigations.
- Representing a Premier League football club in the Inquest of a former player following his death by suicide.
- Representing an international football club in the Inquest of a player following a plane crash.
- Acting for global humanitarian charity in the Inquest of a British employee murdered in Africa.
- Representing a prisoner escort services provider during their death in custody Inquests and investigations by the Prisons & Probation Ombudsman (PPO).
Regulatory investigations and enforcement
- Representing a client during a high-profile police investigation into corporate manslaughter and health and safety breaches, following multiple fatalities at their premises.
- Representing a gas distribution company in the £4m sentencing proceedings brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Acting for an energy business during a (HSE) investigation, following an explosion at an oil refinery.
- Representing a restaurant chain throughout the Local Authority's investigations into the injury of a customer.
- Representing care homes following Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspections concerning allegations of failings and appealing notices of proposals to revoke registrations.
- Acting for individuals during professional disciplinary proceedings brought before the General Optical Council (GOC) and the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
- Undertaking an independent investigation on behalf of a PLC into alleged health and safety breaches regarding historic asbestos working practices.
- Advising an international sports governing body on its health and safety policies concerning medical provision at tournaments.
- Investigating allegations of potential bribery and fraudulent conduct by employees and advising the board on potential criminal liability for failing to prevent bribery and the facilitation of tax evasion.