The boy, who is protected by an anonymity order, visited the petting zoo connected to the Store and came into contact with lambs and pigs. A week later, he became seriously ill, with symptoms of diarrhoea with blood and mucus in his stools. He became pale and lethargic and his family rushed him to hospital where his condition deteriorated.
Tests revealed he had an acute kidney injury for which he required intravenous infusion. A diagnosis was made of the bacterial infection E.Coli O157 which resulted in haemolytic uraemic syndrome, a known, serious risk of E.Coli. The boy required a blood transfusion and remained in hospital for several weeks.
Unsurprisingly, he developed acute distress following the illness. He and his family face the extremely worrying consequence that his future health may also be affected.
Once instructed, Harvinder obtained evidence from a paediatric nephrologist who set out the lifelong risks the boy may face, plus evidence from a psychiatrist as to the impact on his mental health. Huntley's accepted full liability for failing to keep the boy safe on its premises and that he contracted E.Coli O157. The company also pleaded guilty in a separate case to three breaches to health and safety rules at the event, for which it was fined.
The case settled for a six-figure sum with the proviso that were the boy to become ill in the future with any of the conditions detailed in the nephrologist's report, his may have his claim reassessed.
- You can speak to our personal injury solicitors on freephone 0800 358 3848
- email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the short online enquiry form
All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Sign up to our email digest