I have over 11 years' experience advising clients on a full range of contentious property disputes and other property matters. I act for and provide strategic support to developers, investors, occupiers, public sector bodies and high net worth individuals. My experience includes dilapidations, business lease renewals, break clauses, the recovery of arrears, tenant insolvency as well as real property issues including easements and covenants.
My practice also encompasses high value and complex rent review disputes. I regularly act on some of the most significant rent reviews in the market, or alternatively as the appointed legal assessor. I also have particular expertise in professional negligence and insolvency disputes. I have acted and continue to act for clients on claims against solicitors in respect of negligent drafting or reporting on property transactions, and against surveyors in respect of negligent valuation or transactions at an undervalue. On insolvency, I regularly advise landlord clients on the options available to them once a tenant enters into insolvency, and have particular experience advising on the effect of CVAs on the landlord and tenant relationship.
I am also very experienced in all forms of alternative dispute resolution including arbitration, expert determination and mediation.
My experience includes:
- acting for the City of London in respect of the wholesale market relocation of Smithfield and Billingsgate to a new co-located market site at Dagenham Dock;
- acting for a lender client on a professional negligence claim against a firm of surveyors in connection with a valuation they provided on a property against which the loan was to be secured;
- acting on a complex claim (including allegations of professional negligence) against multiple defendants in connection with the alleged sale of two development sites at an undervalue;
- obtaining a freezing injunction in the High Court in respect of a claim involving an alleged fraudulent misrepresentation in the sale of multiple apartments;
- acting for a client on a contested lease renewal, where the client was successful in opposing the grant of the new lease under ground (g) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954; and
- acting for an occupier client in opposing forfeiture of a highly valuable commercial lease and counter-claiming for relief from forfeiture in the alternative.
My rent review and related valuation experience includes:
- acting on a high value and complex rent review arbitration in respect of a former industrial site in central London, involving extensive work with expert witnesses;
- acting on a rent review dispute relating to a health centre in West London involving a complex legal issue relating to the interpretation of index-linked rent reviews;
- acting on a rent review dispute in connection with an industrial property in Peterborough involving complex legal issues relating to the relevant comparable properties;
- advising an arbitrator on a dispute as to his substantive jurisdiction in an arbitration relating to the purchase price payable under an option agreement; and
- acting as legal assessor to an arbitrator in connection with a preliminary legal issue as to whether works to the property were to be disregarded on rent review.
I am a member of the Property Litigation Association.
I have been recommended in Legal 500 for professional negligence work.