The Medical Council has recently published updated guidance for registered medical practitioners relating to their interactions with industry, to include pharmaceutical and medical device companies.
The guidance, which serves to assist doctors in acting in the best interests of patients without influence by personal considerations, it to be used in conjunction with the Medical Council’s Guide to Professional Conduct and Ethics for Registered Medical Practitioners (8th Edition).
The guidance includes, inter alia, information on the following:
- acceptance of gifts and hospitality;
- ethics on meeting attendance and sponsorship from pharmaceutical companies/ medical device companies;
- sponsorship for educational events;
- charging fees for visits by sales representatives;
- acceptance of drug samples for pharmaceutical sales representatives.
The new guidance is available to view here
A previous blog relating to The Medical Council’s Guide to Professional Conduct and Ethics (8th Edition 2016) can be accessed here