I am a Senior Associate in the Asbestos Disease Team and I have been representing asbestos exposure victims for more than 10 years. I act on behalf of people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and other asbestos related diseases and I am experienced in all aspects of the claims and litigation process. I am listed as a "key lawyer" in the Legal 500 and I am an APIL Senior Litigator, Asbestos Disease Specialist and Occupational Disease Specialist.
I have recovered millions of pounds for clients over the years. I strive to provide excellent client care and ensure that the claims process is as stress free as possible for my clients. I do all I can and go the extra mile to achieve the best results for my clients.
I pride myself on the feedback which I receive from my clients which includes:
"Shaheen makes you feel that not only is she a very competent solicitor but that she genuinely cares."
"Shaheen kept us fully informed at all times of the progress and helped us understand where we were with the claim. She visited us and listened to the affect that my father's death had on us and was very patient and understanding throughout."
"I wish to thank your company and particularly yourself for the professionalism shown throughout the proceedings. You kept me informed every step of the way."
Some of my recent successful cases include:
- Settled a claim for a gentleman during his lifetime which included an agreement for the insurers to pay for private "mesothelioma related treatment". This was an interesting case because the gentleman had received single immunotherapy as part of a clinical trial but was removed from the trial because he did not fulfil the protocol. His Oncologist recommended combination immunotherapy and the Defendant initially argued that the treatment was not reasonable because it was not recommended by the gentleman's NHS treating Oncologist but we overcame this hurdle and the Defendants caved in. The agreement included a payment mechanism which meant that the client did not pay for the treatment and the invoices were discharged by the Defendants' insurers.
- Settled a claim on behalf of a gentleman who was 64 when he developed symptoms of mesothelioma. He was working full-time and we recovered his loss of earnings until age 70 on a full-time basis and until age 72 on a part-time basis. In addition, all heads of losses were settled save for the claim for the cost of future private mesothelioma related treatment which means that if his disease progresses he can re-open his case.
- Recovering damages for a gentleman who lives in Canada but was exposed to asbestos in Scotland. I settled his claim within 7 months and secured an indemnity from the insurer for payment of private "mesothelioma related treatment". In addition, his family have the benefit of bringing claims in Scotland as unlike in England the definition of dependant would include the gentleman's siblings, spouse, children and grandchildren.
- A complex "overalls case" where my client was exposed to asbestos as a consequence of washing her husband's overalls. The claim is being pursued against the husband's employers and as there was no public liability insurance extensive investigation was necessary in relation to the companies' accounts to ensure that there was a paymaster. Fortunately, judgment on liability was entered against the Defendants at an early hearing and the Court made an Order for an interim payment.
- Settled a very complex claim a week before a 3 day trial on behalf of an asbestos removal operative who was diagnosed with diffuse pleural thickening. His employers did not provide him with the correct personal protective equipment or training. The claim was settled on a provisional damages basis and the client has an Order which allows him to claim further damages if his condition deteriorates or if he develops lung cancer or mesothelioma.
- Successful claim on behalf of the widow of a gentleman who worked on a self-employed basis for a subcontractor at Costain Ltd's head office in London. There was no employer/employee relationship because the gentleman was not working as a subcontractor for Costain. At a Court hearing, we successfully argued that Costain owed the gentleman a common law duty of care because Costain supervised the work and provided the asbestos materials.
- Compensation awarded to typist who was exposed to asbestos when delivering reports to managers.
- Compensation recovered for a carpenter told by local Kent solicitors that he did not have a case.
- £190,000.00 secured for Kathleen after she was exposed to asbestos when working with fume cupboards.
- Successful claim for Midland Bank manager exposed to asbestos in dusty basements which settled for a six figure sum.