Our shipping team provides a range of legal services designed for the specific needs of the maritime industry.
Clients appreciate our integrated offering which includes dispute resolution through litigation, arbitration and other forms of ADR and defence of prosecution before UK, European and international criminal courts.
Dispute resolution is often combined with advisory, transactional and finance services into a single service offering from multiple jurisdictions.
Clients have included ship builders, operators, owners, charterers, banks and insurers giving us a comprehensive understanding of the shipping and P&I insurance sectors from all perspectives.
This experience enables us to offer clients practical, commercial solutions to transactions and disputes however they may arise.
Summary of services and notable highlights
Shipping Litigation and Arbitration
Our team has advised in relation to all aspects of wet and dry shipping disputes.
The team's experience includes:
- Advising Singapore-based bareboat charterers on issues impacting their charter parties due to sub-charterers loading Iranian oil on board vessel in breach of sanctions
- Advising and representing parties in LMAA Arbitration Proceedings covering a variety of issues (demurrage, slow steaming, inadequate stowage, etc).
- Advising jetty owners and their insurers on damage to jetty caused by vessel, and recovering business interruption losses flowing from damage
- Advising owners of FPSO on claims brought against it by field operators for alleged breach of design and operation of FPSO.
Offshore vessel/structure disputes
We have extensive experience of resolving international disputes arising in relation to offshore projects and vessels engaged in such projects, including:
- Drilling rigs and operations
- Heavy lift vessels and cranes
- Supply vessels
- Pipe and cable laying
- Wind farms
- Oil and gas installations including FPSOs
- LNG terminals
Personal injury defence
Our team has advised ship owners and operators in relation to a wide range of personal injury claims including those by direct crew members, paying passengers and those affected by the operation of vessels.
It is also able to assist in crisis situations following serious injury and fatal incidents including all aspects of any investigation and subsequent prosecution phase and/or inquests.
We have been advising clients on shipbuilding contracts for many years. Examples include:
- The negotiation of shipbuilding contracts and associated agreements such as options for additional vessels, performance and refund guarantees and the contractual issues which arise in the course of agreeing an order.
- The renegotiation of contracts for vessels in the course of construction and post-delivery issues such as warranty claims.
- Security issues, such as mortgages in cases where title to the vessel vests in the buyer in the course of construction.
- Contractual problems arising during construction, such as force majeure events, compliance of vessels with contracts and specifications, novations and assignment disputes.
We are experienced in drafting, negotiating and advising on loan and security documents for both private yachts and commercial shipping. This includes ship mortgages and deeds of covenant, mortgages of vessels under construction, performance and refund guarantees, collateral deeds, debentures and assignments of shipbuilding contracts or of insurances, earnings and requisition compensation.
In the event that a facility is in default, we devise workable exit strategies and commercial advice on enforcement to our clients including handling all aspects of dispute resolution.
We have a great deal of experience in restructuring facilities and debt recovery across a range of jurisdictions.
Our market leading IP team understands the importance of protecting, enforcing, and exploiting martiime assets to ensure competitive edge.
Our team advices clients anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy, copyright and database rights, design rights, domain names, patents, trademarks and brands, trade secrets and confidential information and promotions, marketing and sponsorship.