Our finance group serves the needs of global investment and domestic banks, asset managers, investment funds (retail, institutional and alternative),other financial institutions, industry bodies, sovereign entities, corporate end-users and ultra-high net worth individuals. Our breadth and depth of experience, coupled with a commercial and practical approach, means that the team is well-equipped to provide the advice clients need in increasingly innovative and complex financial markets. We have lawyers with the right healthcare specialisms and experience to make sure that our advice is focused and, when needed, innovative.
Our Real Estate Finance group is part of our overall Finance Group and comprises lawyers drawn from the finance, real estate and tax practices and thus is able to provide a seamless service, addressing the complications of the large lending transactions seen in real estate.
We act for lenders, investors and operators in the healthcare sector. Our healthcare finance work ranges from straightforward bilateral loans secured over performing care home assets, financing doctors’ and dentists’ surgeries, care home development finance to the bigger ticket US led private equity or REIT led acquisitions of large portfolios, management buy outs and co-investments. We also act for equipment financiers and lessees e.g. dealing with the procurement and financing of oncology equipment. Our experience in the sector together with our known expertise in healthcare regulatory law and practice gives us a leading edge when advising our clients operating in this heavily regulated area. We also work closely with our funds group in the structuring and setting up of property funds, and their funding of real estate investments. We have particular experience in representing lenders (and operators) including acting for the specialist healthcare lending teams at many financial institutions (including most of the well-known lenders).
Notable deals and highlights
- We acted for Santander on the financing of a Harley Street doctors surgery.
- We advised a large US listed healthcare company on its first strategic UK investment (c.f5m) in an independent sector primary care business delivering primary and community based care including operating GP surgeries.
- We acted for Proton Partners International on the real estate site acquisition of the first Proton Beam Therapy cancer treatment centre built in the UK. We acted for this client in connection with the debt financing of cancer treatment equipment with a renowned healthcare team at a challenger bank.
- Advising Signature Senior Lifestyle on their f50m+ management buy-out from Cabot Square. Capital, funded by Welltower and Revera Inc.
- Advising Lloyds Bank PLC on a loan facility for the acquisition (from administrators) of a care home in Wellingborough. This involved cross-collateralisation with security from other companies within the Elder Care Group. Particular compliance issues needed to be considered in connection with sanctions placed on the underlying business.
- Advising Welltower on a sale and leaseback of a portfolio of nursing homes from Avery Healthcare and the forward purchase of a number of new care homes under development. The acquisition structure sought to replicate the US model of a master lease.
- Advising New Care Projects in relation to its acquisition, structuring and fundraising of Senior and mezzanine finance for the development of Nursing Care Home SPVs in the North West.