Risk and opportunity are the two constants in the oil and gas industry. Whether as a result of changes in law or regulatory policy, technological advances or simply of rapid and often unforeseen shifts in market conditions, oil and gas companies will always face challenges.
At Fieldfisher, we understand the oil and gas sector and work with clients to take advantage of risk and opportunity.
Our specialist oil and gas lawyers provide legal advice to management and in-house teams on upstream, midstream and downstream matters. We have over 50 years of oil and gas sector experience on the UKCS, mainland Europe, across Africa and the CIS.
These specialists are supported by leading lawyers across corporate, projects and infrastructure, dispute resolution, banking and finance, competition, environment, health and safety, insolvency, intellectual property, real estate, planning and tax law.
In particular, we have direct experience in:
- Frontier investment and new territory due diligence
- Petroleum licencing, concessions and production sharing agreements
- Joint venture arrangements including AMI, joint bidding, unitisation and joint operating agreements
- Asset acquisitions and disposals, including asset swaps, farm-ins and farm-outs
- Exploration activities, including seismic acquisition and processing, drilling and support services and data sharing
- Development activities, including engineering, procurement, installation and construction
- Production activities, including processing and refining, transportation, storage (including FPSO, FSU) and offtake arrangements for gas, liquids and LNG
- Prospective partner, corporate and asset due diligence
- Project financing and security arrangements;
- Regulatory advice, including health and safety and competition issues
- Real estate and planning, including use of compulsory powers and environmental matters
- Insurance and risk transfer
- Dispute resolution and contentious construction advice
Recent Cases in the oil and gas industry:
- Acted for Cabot Energy in connection with its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Rockhopper Civita Limited which holds producing assets in Italy
- Acted for KazMunaiGas Exploration Production JSC ("KMG EP") in connection with an offer to buy-back shares and other securities held by minority shareholders of KMG EP
- Acted for President Energy plc on restructuring its loan facility, equity fundraising and associated drilling programme on its oil and gas concessions in Argentina, as well as further acquisitions undertaken by the company in Argentina
- Acted for Echo Energy on its rebranding and refinancing, by way of an equity refinancing and bond issue listed in Luxembourg, and on the acquisition of significant oil and gas acreage in Argentina and its associated fundraising.
- Acted for KMG Kashagan B.V on its $1bn upsizing of a 5-year Secured Oil Prepayment Facility
- Acted for the nominated adviser and brokers on a placing by Savannah Petroleum plc to raise up to US$250m
- Acted for INEOS Shale in its successful bid to exclude protestors from its licence acreage in the UK
- Acted for CLH (Pipeline System (CLH-PS) Ltd in its Tank Repair Framework arrangements with Phillips 6
- Acted for Hansa Hydrocarbons in its re-organisation of Southern North Sea Assets
White Papers and Downloads
This paper has been produced incorporating the experience of senior oil sector legal counsel at Fieldfisher and drawn from industry to serve as a practical guide to in-house counsel when performing this exercise.