Download our latest reports
|Chambers and Partners Global Practice Guide 2019|
Europe's Energy Regulatory framework has evolved rapidly in the last two decades and continues to undergo significant change, as demand increases and renewables become an increasingly important part of the energy mix.
Much of the EU's internal market for electricity, heat and natural gas is being shaped through tailor-made legislation, which is set to play a decisive role in the EU's strategy to achieve a competitive, integrated and secure European energy market.
To remain at the forefront of this dynamic area of EU law, Fieldfisher has built a network of Energy Regulatory experts throughout Europe.
Backed by years of in-depth industry experience, we combine specific knowledge and expertise in this field with seamless collaboration across a comprehensive suite of legal practice areas.
We advise clients on a wide range of energy regulatory matters in the EU, from how to successfully navigate authorisations, licenses, competition law, contracts, disputes, subsidy mechanisms and tariffs, to dealing with regulatory issues involved developing large scale energy projects, complying with public service obligations as an operator and M&A.
We advise numerous European energy market players and authorities, including:
- Swiss energy producer and trader, AXPO
- German industrial conglomerate, BayWa
- UK subsea power developer, BritNed
- Chinese energy recycler, CREG
- Spanish renewable energy supplier, EDP Renovaveis
- European Commission-backed interconnector project, ElecLink
- Dutch energy company, Essent
- Spanish natural gas and utilities provider, Gas Natural Fenosa
- German speciality chemicals manufacturer, Lanxess
- Belgian energy management company, REstore
- French transmission system operator, RTE
- German power producer, RWE
- UK regional gas supplier, Scottish Gas
Our Energy Regulatory Team features prominently in the Energy rankings of leading bar publications, such as Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.
Notable deals and highlights:
- Assisting a multinational energy supplier in negotiating agreements on delivery of electricity to large consumers, as well as drafting general and specific supply conditions to medium-sized consumers;
- Acting as legal advisor for a large gas multinational in its European strategy towards defaulting industrial consumers of natural gas supplied in Belgium, including managing its relationships with network operators and assisting in related proceedings;
- Advising an international renewable energy company regarding a contractual dispute under a framework agreement for electricity supply from wind turbines;
- Advising an international freight and passenger airline company on its strategy towards EU ETS compliance.
- Corporate PPAs in the energy market - A PPA gives a corporate enhanced energy security, ROCE and a competitive advantage.