Samantha Critchley, Partner
Samantha's specialist medical negligence compensation claims include:
- fetal medicine claims (wrongful birth claims)
- obstetric claims (Erb’s palsy, traumatic deliveries, pre-eclampsia, stillbirth and brain injuries)
- paediatric claims
- neurology claims (acquired brain injury and tumours)
- gynaecology claims (cervical, ovarian and breast cancers)
- ophthalmology claims, general surgery claims and orthopaedic claims.
Samantha also assists with representation at inquests where a death has arisen from suspected medical negligence.
Samantha also undertakes some personal injury and product liability work. She is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and has attained the accredited level of Senior Litigator.
Samantha is involved in many pro bono projects and won the Legal Advice Clinic's Supervisor of the Year Award 2009. This was in recognition of the "outstanding support" provided to the students at the Queen Mary undergraduate-led centre. Samantha has been providing support at the legal clinic since it was set up in 2006 to provide assistance to the local east London community.
What the leading directories say about Samantha
Chambers & Partners 2014 say
- "Sam continues to impress sources across the market with her broad medical negligence expertise encompassing cases concerning surgical negligence, obstetrics, paediatrics and neurology."
Chambers & Partners 2013 recognise Sam as
- "one of the "rising stars" in the sector with more than a decade of experience".
Chambers 2011 says
- "Samantha is particularly strong on wrongful birth and obstetrics cases. She is 'excellent – very intelligent, and she handles difficult clients very impressively'”.
- "tenacious in the extreme, and bright, feisty and extremely well prepared"
- £1.35 million damages in a wrongful birth case concerning the failure by hospital staff to detect serious birth abnormalities
- £1.25m awarded against Whittington Hospital for woman left brain-injured after appendicitis
- £1 million for model after negligent breast implant surgery damages career
- £4.5 million recovered in compensation after a delayed diagnosis claim causing brain damaged
- £700,000 recovered for delayed diagnosis of cervical cancer
- £90,000 settlement after detached retina leads to total blindness
- winning several awards for children who sustained serious brachial plexus injuries (Erb’s Palsy) at birth; ranging from £320,000 - £405,750
- £350,000 for psychiatric patient who sustained brain injury in hospital
- £92,500 recovered for parents of 2 week old baby who dies because of GP negligence
- £335,000 recovered in shoulder dystocia case
- £325,000 damages recovered in Erb’s Palsy case against Luton and Dunstable Hospital
- £400,000 compensation recovered for MRSA victim
- £625,000 recovered when Homerton Hospital diagnosis delays causes continued bowel problems
- £25,000 recovered after Homerton University Hospitals NHS Trust fail to protect elderly patient
- £70,000 recovered from former solicitors for failure to pursue medical negligence claim
- £70,000 recovered after local anaesthetic was negligently used during cataract surgery causing poor visual acuity
- £135,000 for a young mother who sustained a 3rd degree obstetric tear during the delivery of her baby, which left her incontinent
- £135,000 recovered after Traumatic delivery by forceps causes third degree tear
- £25,000 recovered from Barking, Havering & Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust after midwife was unable to a perform proper suturing procedure
- £65,000 recovered after fourth degree tear leads to 15 additional procedures
- £60,000 for psychiatric injuries suffered by a young mother following the death of her first child after failure to diagnose breech presentation
- £30,000 for parents whose baby was stillborn due to untreated pre-eclampsia causing placental abruption
- £140,000 for man who underwent negligently performed hernia operation which caused fertility problems requiring IVF
- £65,000 for a mother following the delivery of her baby relating to the delay in diagnosis of volvulus resulting in infertility and PTSD
- £65,00 recovered for infertility caused by obsetric negligence after childbirth
- £50,000 for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of ovarian cancer
- £78,000 damages, an admission of liability and apology for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of breast cancer
- £150,000 for woman who suffered diabetic ketoacidosis when a central line was misplaced. Injuries included brain damage, a chest injury and clawing of fingers on her dominant hand
- settling a personal injury claim for £250,000 where a Warrant Officer in the Territorial Army suffered severe head injuries and knee injuries following collision with a stationary lorry.
- Secured £125,000 compensation for damage who suffered congestive heart failure and renal failure following hip replacement surgery.
- £180,000 recovered after multiple GP failures cause death of baby Chloé
- £200,000 recovered after negligent knee replacement causes further fractures
- £50,000 recovered after GP admits failing to refer following lab finding of malignant melanoma
If you would like to discuss a case with Samantha, please don't hesitate to call her directly on:
- T: 020 7861 4263, or
- e: email@example.com