Mark Bowman, Partner
His medical negligence practice is wide ranging and includes birth injury, surgical negligence and delayed diagnosis amongst others.He is referred work by the national charity, the Erb's Palsy Group, the only UK based organisation offering advice to families affected by Erb's Palsy. His personal injury specialty is catastrophic injury cases and in particular road traffic accidents and accidents at work. Mark has recently secured the right to anonymity for Claimants who are protected parties or children in personal injury or medical negligence cases, in the landmark Court of Appeal case of JxMx.
What the leading legal directories say about Mark
'tireless in his patience' with clients, who also admire how he "lives and breathes a case". Key areas of expertise include surgical negligence, cancer claims and birth injury claims.
Legal 500, 2015
"Mark Bowman, the tough negotiator"
"Mark Bowman runs a varied caseload spanning such areas as obstetrics, surgical error and delayed diagnosis of medical conditions. “He is excellent,” declares one barrister, “it is wonderful to be instructed by him.”
Recently Mark has recovered:
- Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital ordered to pay over £13,000,000 compensation to child with cerebral palsy
- Recovered £10.6 million in a cerebral palsy claim against Darent Valley Hospital
- Recovered £9.6 million in a cerebral palsy claim against Heatherwood Hospital
- Court approve liability settlement in cerebral palsy claim against Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
- Cerebral Palsy claim settled for £9,000,000 within one year of instruction
- £5.5 million from the CICA for a victim of child abuse
- Leighton Hospital admit liability for causing devastating brachial plexus injuries to baby at birth
- Over £3 million for a motorcyclist who required an above knee amputation after a road traffic collision
- Over £3 million for an amputee who required osseointegration surgery following an accident at work
- Fieldfisher are delighted to have recovered over £2 million for a motorcyclist who required an above knee amputation following a road traffic collision
- Over £2 million recovered for lady in claim against Whipps Cross Hospital following catastrophic blunders leading to an above knee amputation
- A substantial recovery for a client who suffered a transfemoral (above the knee) amputation giving his client the choice to undergo Osseointegration, a ground breaking treatment not readily available in the UK
- Frimley Park Hospital pay £425,000 following death of senior civil servant due to fatal pulmonary embolism
- £200,000 compensation recovered against Harley St specialist following misdiagnosis of recurrent cancer.
- £350,000 recovered for victim of vicious assault in CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority) claim
- Substantial damages for widow of cancer patient who died during a drug trial at the Royal Marsden Hospital
- £820,000 for an aspiring barrister involved in a serious road traffic accident
- £700,000 recovered for motorcyclist after crash leaves him with paralysed dominant left arm
- Substantial damages for the family of a man who died from bleomycin toxicity following a cancer drug trial at UCLH
- £110,000 for a gentleman left with significant leg length discrepancy following surgery to both hips
- £750,000 recovered for damages after a man was left in persistent vegetative state after heart op
- A major award for the family of a cyclist who was run over by an HGV whilst cycling to work in London
- £400,000 for an elderly lady who suffered catastrophic injuries following a cancer diagnosis delay
- Damages for the family of a baby boy who died following a failure to diagnose meningitis
- £300,000 in compensation for an art lecturer at Southgate College who suffered major injuries when he was hit by a falling tree
- £135,000 within 4 months for a cyclist injured in a road accident
- Substantial damages awarded after forceps left inside patient during routine operation at Newham Hospital
- £15,000 compensation awarded to the second patient overdosed at London teaching hospital
- £95,000 recovered for deafness caused by ENT negligence at Whipps Cross Hospital
- £200,000 for elderly patient for months in hospital after surgery errors
- £35,000 recovered after plastic surgeon perforates bowel
- £40,000 recovered in damages because of wrong advice from NHS direct
- £80,000 damages recovered from King George Hospital for unplanned hysterectomy
- £18,250 Recovered for teacher after back injury suffered at work
- Substantial settlement for incontinence after childbirth at the Hillingdon Hospital
- Significant compensation recovered against The Whittington Hospital for pelvic floor injuries suffered by mother following birth of first child.
- £50,000 recovered following delay in diagnosing appendicitis at University College London Hospital
- Substantial compensation recovered following delay in diagnosing appendicitis following childbirth
- Netherne Management Ltd agree to pay £125,000 following accident at work
- Croydon University Hospital pay out significant compensation after hospital fail to inform client of tumour on scans
- Whipps Cross Hospital admit liability and pay substantial compensation for death of baby shortly after birth
- Compensation recovered from Northwick Park Hospital after death of young mother from post-partum sepsis
Mark’s cases are regularly reported in the national and regional press. Recently there was widespread publicity for his case involving a young lady that committed suicide at Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust and for his case where his client required an above knee amputation following a negligent knee replacement procedure.
In addition, Mark is regularly asked to comment on key legal issues, recently having been interviewed by Sky News with regards failings at Whipps Cross Hospital, LBC radio with regards to a number of cyclists being killed on London's roads, and Radio Essex with regards the scandal at Colchester General Hospital.
Mark's cases are regularly reported on Lawtel and Clinical Risk, for whom he also writes articles and his cycle injury practice has been featured in the Times Law Supplement.
Mark is a member of AvMA (Action against Medical Accidents) and the Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel.
Contact Mark Bowman
If you would like to discuss a potential case with Mark, please don’t hesitate to contact him via any of the below.
- Call Mark: 020 7861 4043
- e-Mail Mark at: firstname.lastname@example.org