Croydon tram crash compensation could run to ‘tens of millions’ - The full article from the Standard
Payouts to victims of the Croydon tram tragedy and their families could run to ‘tens of millions’, a personal injury lawyer said today.
The tram derailed at high speed in east Croydon, south London shortly after 6am on Wednesday, killing at least seven people and injuring 51. Eight of the people taken to hospital have serious or life-changing injuries, including amputated limbs.
CREDIT: RAIL ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION BRANCH
Paul McNeil, the head of personal injury at Fieldfisher lawyers, said the total compensation would be:
“very, very substantial, running into tens of millions”.
Mr McNeil, who acted for families in the Ladbroke Grove, Potters Bar and Clapham Junction rail disasters, said:
“I would expect there to be a significant number of claims by the people who were injured, and obviously the families of those who sadly died in the accident.”
He called for the inquiry to be made public, saying TfL and the tram operator’s parent company First Group should move swiftly to accept blame and offer pay-outs. If the insurance companies are proactive, he added, payouts could begin as soon as the cause of the crash had been determined.
However, if they fight the claims, it could be years before victims see any money. Depending on the outcome of the ongoing inquiry, the money will be provided by the insurers of either TfL or the tram company, First Group. British Transport Police today appealed for witnesses and said it planned to publish an interim report about the accident next week.
Footage today emerged of the 42-year-old driver, who lives in Beckenham, being arrested at the scene. He is understood to have told police he “blacked out” before the tram slewed off the rails at up to four times the 12mph speed limit.
He was questioned on suspicion of manslaughter for around 12 hours at a police station before being released on bail until May. British Transport Police are also investigating reports that a tram almost came off the tracks a week ago in the same place as Wednesday’s fatal crash.
This article was first published on http://www.standard.co.uk/11 November 2016
Cover image credit: Peter Macdiarmid/LNP
Paul McNeil has more than 25 years experience acting for those injured through medical negligence or personal injury accidents. Many of Paul’s cases involve serious head injuries or birth injuries and have settled for over £1 million. This ensures that Paul’s clients receive adequate compensation to pay for education, rehabilitation, care and treatment. Read the case study of Potters Bar cash victim Tanya Liu here.
Paul's claims cover many areas, including:
- Medical negligence cases
- Personal injury cases
- Work accident cases
- Road traffic accidents cases
- International personal injury cases
For further information please contact Paul McNeil
- T: 020 7861 4019, or
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org