Don Godfrey contracted asbestosis and then lung cancer as a result of exposure to asbestos. He worked as a lagger's mate, mixing up a powder containing asbestos with water to form a lagging plaster for 2 years from around 1952. This was an extremely dusty activity and he was often surrounded by clouds of asbestos dust and fibres throughout this period. He then learned to apply lagging himself, although he was often working close to others who were mixing up the powder containing asbestos to form the lagging plaster. He also stripped off old lagging which contained asbestos and cut pre-formed asbestos pipe sections. All of these processes exposed him to substantial amounts of asbestos dust and fibres. He continued doing this work until about 1966. His employers during this period included Cork Insulation, Kitsons Insulations Limited and the Ind Coope Brewery in Romford, Essex.
Mr Godfrey had also smoked until around the age of 64. The effects of asbestos and smoking acted together to cause his lung cancer. He had some breathlessness from 2001 as a result of smoking-related disease and asbestosis which gradually worsened. He was admitted to hospital in August 2012 as an emergency because of breathlessness and subsequent investigations led to a diagnosis of lung cancer in January 2013. Sadly, his condition deteriorated despite chemotherapy and radiotherapy and he passed away in December 2013 aged 77.
Caroline Pinfold was instructed to pursue a claim on behalf of Don during his lifetime but unfortunately it was not possible to complete the claim before he passed away. The claim was therefore carried on by his brother for the benefit of Don's estate and was successfully concluded in December 2014.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
The legacy of asbestos
Asbestos mining and manufacturing companies in Wittenoom, Western Australia have left a lasting legacy of the dangers of asbestos.
Peter Williams reacts to multi-billion dollar judgement against Johnson & Johnson in talc claims
American pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson was last week ordered to pay $4.69 billion to 22 women who have suffered ovarian cancer allegedly as a result of using talcum powder contaminated with asbestos.