Thomas McIntosh left school at the age of 15 and went straight to work for Kitsons Insulations Limited. He began as a lagger's mate and gradually progressed to become a lagger.
He was exposed to asbestos when mixing up asbestos powder with water to form the insulation plaster that was applied to pipes and boilers. Huge amounts of asbestos dust and fibres surrounded him when he tipped out bags of the powder into the water. He used to be covered from head to foot in this dust all day long and it was still in his hair and on his clothes when he went home at the end of the day.
He was never warned about the possible risk to his health from asbestos dust and fibres or provided with any mask or other equipment to protect him from breathing these in.
He suffered a stroke in about 1999 and his sister, Jane, looked after him at home for a while but this became increasingly difficult. He therefore moved to a nursing home. He was in a nursing home in Leighton Buzzard when he was diagnosed as suffering from mesothelioma.
Although he was already receiving care in the nursing home, Caroline Pinfold was able to recover compensation for the care that his sister, Jane, provided to him once he had been diagnosed with mesothelioma. He became very depressed because he was virtually a prisoner in his room, having previously been able to get around in his electric wheelchair. Jane visited him frequently and provided emotional support to him. She also had to attend to paperwork and other matters on his behalf. Tom passed away just before the claim was completed, and Jane was very concerned to ensure that compensation was recovered on behalf of her brother's sons, which was his wish and his main reason for pursuing the claim.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case