Brian Johnston instructed Dushal to pursue his claim after his diagnosis was made at the Royal Cornwall Hospital. He recalled being exposed to asbestos whilst working for Goddard and Staines, however the company had dissolved and it was not possible to identify the insurers.
Brian had also visited and carried out some work at the Turner & Newalls factory in Manchester and recalled working in a room which was covered in asbestos dust. He had also worked for a sheet metal company, P W Mann Engineering between 1988 and 1993 during which time he was required to cut into the side of buildings whilst fitting heating systems.
At the time he was advised by the engineers on site and others that asbestolux was not a hazardous material and it was safe to work with. No protective clothing or masks was provided despite the risks and dangers being well known by the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Brian instructed Dushal to bring a claim against the company, P W Mann Engineering. The engineer and owner of the company alleged that Brian was hardly sent out on site and that he would not have been asked to cut into the side of buildings. They argued that even if he had, he would not have encountered asbestolux.
Fieldfisher managed to obtain a number of witness statements from previous work colleagues to support Brian’s claim and the case was set down for a five day trial in the High Court. Despite the company maintaining that they were not responsible for Brian’s condition and subsequent death they did make an offer in settlement of the case. By then, Brian had unfortunately died and his widow, Betty had also been diagnosed with an illness of her own.
Betty wished to accept the offer that was made and in addition, Dushal managed to secure further compensation for Betty from the Turner & Newalls Trust for the exposure Brian encountered in their factory.
At the end of the case Betty said:
"Over the course of the claim, Dushal showed me a great deal of respect and courtesy. He gave me a very personal and professional service and was always available when I needed to speak to him."
Alternatively, if you have been exposed to asbestos and would like further information please contact us by one of the following:
You can speak to any member of our mesothelioma and asbestos team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher attends Mesothelioma UK Ladies Lunch
Bridget Collier, Shaheen Mosquera and Sarah Wolf from Fieldfisher's specialist asbestos team enjoyed Mesothelioma UK's Ladies Lunch at the Manchester Macdonald Hotel held on International Women's Day.
Johnson & Johnson update: Jury awards damages to woman suffering mesothelioma from asbestos in talc
A jury in California this week awarded $29m to a woman who said asbestos in Johnson & Johnson's talcum-powder-based products caused her mesothelioma cancer.
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case