Brian Cox worked for a large electrical company, Lighting Maintenance Ltd, between 1969 to tax year 1971/2 and cut asbestos panelling to trace electrical cabling during re-fits to Mothercare stores.
He sadly contracted the asbestos cancer of mesothelioma and died in 2008. The company had ceased to exist but Peter Williams, managed to trace insurers from August 1971. The insurers alleged that he was not employed by the company during their period of employer’s liability insurance.
Disclosure of the full employment record was sought from Inland Revenue and this showed that he must have worked for the company at least up to March 1972. The pathologist at post mortem had incorrectly thought Mr Cox died from pancreatic cancer. We were able to obtain an independent pathologist report to prove the cause of death was peritoneal mesothelioma - a particularly virulent form of the disease.
The case was settled without the necessity of court proceedings on behalf of Mr Cox’s widow for £245,000 damages. Brian's brother John says:
"Brian would have been pleased at the end result, because he would have, like your firm, fought for the right result. We all have, and will continue, to recommend you to others”.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Bussey decision comes too late for carpenter exposed to asbestos in 1960s London
Our most recent settlement in the case of Alan Kaszubowski sadly highlights how important the Bussey judgement was.
Asbestos rulings provide glimmer of hope for cancer sufferers
Employers can no longer hide behind a statistic that claimed to show a ‘safe’ level of exposure, which could pave the way for a wave of compensation claims, writes Peter Williams for The Times Brief.
Claimant lawyers hail landmark asbestos risk ruling
Caroline Pinfold's landmark case of Bussey vs Anglia Heating Ltd. was featured in the Law Society Gazette
Court of Appeal offers compensation hope to victims of asbestos poisoning
A landmark ruling that could pave the way for compensation for thousands of people suffering from cancer caused by asbestos.