We have recovered £145,000 compensation for the widow of a man who died from mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos as a refuse collector.
72 year old Dominic was diagnosed with mesothelioma, an asbestos related cancer, in April 2008 and his condition deteriorated rapidly. He died in May 2008. Prior to his illness, Dominic had been a very fit and active man. He enjoyed ballroom dancing and tended to his garden regularly.
|Dominic worked for Epsom and Ewell Council for almost twenty years||Mesothelioma|
as a refuse collector and was required to collect asbestos sheets and break them up. Many of the houses in the area he worked were built in the 1930's and many had small garages and outhouses with asbestos roofs. Dominic was never advised not to collect corrugated asbestos sheeting when he carried out his rounds. He was regularly exposed to asbestos dust which subsequently caused his condition.
Dushal Mehta, who acted for the family, said 'I believe that this is one of the first cases of its kind where a local Council has been found liable for exposing their refuse collectors to asbestos dust in the late 70's and early 80's. By then, it was widely known that asbestos dust was dangerous and that anyone working with asbestos should be given the proper protection. The Council were aware of the dangers, but did nothing to protect their employees '.
You can also discuss your mesothelioma compensation claim with any
member of our
mesothelioma compemsation team on freephone 0800 358 3848, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher attends Mesothelioma UK Ladies Lunch
Bridget Collier, Shaheen Mosquera and Sarah Wolf from Fieldfisher's specialist asbestos team enjoyed Mesothelioma UK's Ladies Lunch at the Manchester Macdonald Hotel held on International Women's Day.
Johnson & Johnson update: Jury awards damages to woman suffering mesothelioma from asbestos in talc
A jury in California this week awarded $29m to a woman who said asbestos in Johnson & Johnson's talcum-powder-based products caused her mesothelioma cancer.
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case