Brian Morrow began work as an apprentice electrician at the age of 16 in 1956. He was exposed to asbestos during the course of this work by several employers in a variety of ways.
He often worked alongside laggers who were applying asbestos insulation to pipes where he was running cables. Mr Morrow also worked in boiler houses where asbestos was stripped down during annual maintenance checks and when carrying out other electrical installation work as a result of which asbestos lagging on pipes was unavoidably disturbed. His work as an electrician frequently required him to drill into walls where there was asbestos in order to carry out electrical wiring and to run cables along ducts where there was asbestos lagging in a poor state of repair.
His exposure to asbestos continued into the 1990s and none of the employers provided him with any equipment to protect him from asbestos dust and fibres. Furthermore they gave him no information or warnings about the possible risk to his health from asbestos exposure.
Mr Morrow developed a cough at the end of February 2012; when this did not clear after a course of antibiotics he was referred by his GP to the local hospital where further investigations led to a diagnosis of mesothelioma in May 2012.
The diagnosis was devastating for Mr Morrow and his family. He instructed Caroline Pinfold to pursue a claim for compensation against the relevant employers. After ensuring that Mr Morrow received all of the state benefits to which he is entitled for this condition, Caroline pursued the claim which settled in March 2013. The money will enable Mr Morrow to provide financial security for his wife and to pay for further care and equipment which he may require as a result of the mesothelioma in the future.
After the case was settled, Mr Morrow said:
"Caroline handled the case in a caring manner. I have no complaints whatsoever, she was superb!"
Alternatively, if you have been exposed to asbestos and would like further information please contact us by one of the following:
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case