Peter Williams acted for Lynn and Karen who were the daughters of Brian Ford, in relation to his sad death from mesothelioma in July 2011. Brian had worked for the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) at Staythorpe Power Station in the 1960s. He worked in the clean up gang. We had no information as to whether Brian was exposed to asbestos during his work but we were able to trace a witness who provided information as to how Brian would have swept up asbestos left by Laggers after they had stripped and renewed insulation during maintenance work.
Brian had significant memory problems which remained with him until his death. In the spring of 2010 he became unable to care for himself and his appetite significantly declined. His daughters provided him with full-time care. Towards the end of his life in July 2011 fluid was discovered in his lungs and he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, the asbestos related cancer. The consultants avoided having any discussions with Brian regarding his diagnosis so as not to cause him further distress so a witness statement could not be taken. Karen did recall her dad mentioning he was exposed to asbestos at the power station and that he had to paint industrial areas in hot and confined spaces.
Peter Williams was able to prove that Brian's death was caused by mesothelioma and obtained compensation for his pain and suffering and the significant amount of care provided to him by his daughters during his last illness.
At the end of the case Lynn and Karen said:
"Thank you for all your help and advice through the last few months leading to the successful conclusion. The family will now have closure and feel that our father can finally rest in peace, words do not seem enough to thank you for that Peter. Thank you once again for your time and perseverance with our father's case and for keeping us fully informed of developments along the way."
Alternatively if you have been exposed to asbestos and would like further information please contact us by one of the following:
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case