James Barnett, was exposed to asbestos between 1956 and 1982, whilst he worked as a toolmaker involving the production of steel casting blocks for various employers, all near Romford in Essex. Mr Barnett was diagnosed with mesothelioma some years after his contact with asbestos and has sadly died of the illness since.
Unfortunately all of his ex employers had ceased trading and no insurers were found. However, Andrew Morgan was able to identify one insolvent employer which, though no longer trading, still had substantial assets. He was able to proceed with the claim on behalf of Mr Barnett’s ex-partner, Jacqueline King.
Andrew issued proceedings on behalf of Ms King, and obtained Judgment on the basis that there was no realistic defence to the claim. Later the case went to trial to decide its value. The case was heard over three days by Mrs Justice Slade who awarded £238,063.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Final victory in Bussey mesothelioma claim
Peter Williams of Fieldfisher is pleased to confirm that following agreement from the defendant to pay full damages plus costs in favour of Mr Bussey, the case has finally settled.
Bussey decision comes too late for carpenter exposed to asbestos in 1960s London
Our most recent settlement in the case of Alan Kaszubowski sadly highlights how important the Bussey judgement was.
Asbestos rulings provide glimmer of hope for cancer sufferers
Employers can no longer hide behind a statistic that claimed to show a ‘safe’ level of exposure, which could pave the way for a wave of compensation claims, writes Peter Williams for The Times Brief.
Claimant lawyers hail landmark asbestos risk ruling
Caroline Pinfold's landmark case of Bussey vs Anglia Heating Ltd. was featured in the Law Society Gazette