Frederick Hickman started working at G N Haden & Sons Limited in 1953 at the age of 20. He was initially employed as a fitter's mate. By the time he left the company in 1967 he was a fully qualified fitter. Mr Hickman spent the majority of his time being called off-site to repair and maintain boilers in small schools, banks, law firms and churches.
Before any repair work could be carried out Mr Hickman would have to strip the lagging, often using a hammer and chisel before clearing the debris from the floor with a shovel and a broom. The work was often carried out in cramped conditions, without any ventilation or protective clothing. The air would be full of harmful dust, in which Mr Hickman and his team would toil for hours.
In March 2011 Mr Hickman began to get breathless, despite being a non-smoker his whole life. He visited the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich where he had fluid drained from his lungs. He was then referred to Guy's Hospital, Westminster, where he was retained for 1 week for further treatment. He was subsequently diagnosed with mesothelioma which caused his breathlessness, a persistent cough, chest wall discomfort and weight loss. Mr Hickman contacted Andrew Morgan to make investigations in to a potential claim. G N Haden & Sons Limited were well known to Andrew who has sued them successfully a number of times.
Thanks to our comprehensive database and Andrew's specialist knowledge, Andrew was immediately able to identify the relevant insurer and then prove that the defendant ought to have known about the dangers of asbestos exposure and take relevant measures to protect their employee.
Due to his prior experience in pursuing claims against G N Haden & Sons Limited, Andrew managed to obtain specialist evidence and negotiate a global settlement of £128,000 within 7 months.
Mr Hickman said after the case 'I must say that the service i was given from Fieldfisher, and in particular Andrew Morgan who handled my claim and brought it to a very satisfactory conclusion, was absolutely first class.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case