Dushal Mehta was instructed by Mrs T to bring a claim following her late husband's death due to mesothelioma. Mr T had been diagnosed with mesothelioma whilst living in Spain. He was not advised to make a claim and sadly died on 17 July 2011. Mrs T had to make arrangements for his body to be brought back to the UK as she had decided to move back to live closer to her family in Cornwall.
Mrs T then instructed Dushal Mehta to investigate a claim for compensation. Mrs T had limited information as to her husband's working history other than to advise that he worked as an electrician for most of his life. She was aware that he had worked for a period of time for the South West Electricity Board ("SWEB") but she had no further details.
Dushal was aware that previous claims had been made by Fieldfisher for electricians who had been exposed whilst working for SWEB. Despite providing SWEB with Mr T's date of birth and national insurance number, they were unable to locate any employment records for him. We applied for a Court Order to allow HMRC to release the late Mr T's employment history and also went about contacting historic witnesses and clients who had worked for SWEB to obtain their authority to use their witness statements in support of Mrs T's claim.
With the benefit of the witness evidence we were able to obtain from our previous clients, we were able to establish the types of duties that the late Mr T would have carried out as an electrician with SWEB. We were also able to adduce evidence of the ways in which he could possibly have been exposed to asbestos at that time. With the benefit of the statements and supportive medical evidence (after having obtained the medical records from Spain) Dushal was able to secure a settlement for Mrs T in the sum of £100,000. This was despite the absence of evidence from Mr T himself and not being able to locate any witnesses who actually worked with Mr T.
At the end of the case Mrs T went on to say:
"I would like to thank you and/or your staff for all the hard work to secure a successful case."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Landmark hearing could reveal vital background to asbestos epidemic
In the Supreme Court this Monday, 18th February, judges will hear an appeal that could result in important information about asbestos exposure in the UK made available to the public.
Mesothelioma team share with press tragic story of Chelmsford man left with asbestos cancer
Sarah Wolf is very much hoping that sharing with the local press the heart-breaking story of an honest working man facing the consequences of simply doing the best for his family may prompt former colleagues to come forward with important information.
Teamwork uncovers vital information in Marley tiles asbestos case
Following settlement in a drawn-out case against UK tile manufacturer Marley, Peter Williams said the case would have been finalised sooner had Marley acknowledged that most of its tiles used by his client Roy Morris contained asbestos.
MOD issues asbestos warning to engineers working on Sea King helicopters
According to press reports this week, the Ministry of Defence has issued a warning to Royal Navy and RAF maintenance personnel who worked on Sea King helicopters that they may have come into contact with asbestos.
Sarah Wolf comments on worrying reports regarding asbestos use in the USA
The Fieldfisher mesothelioma team is closely monitoring the furore that has broken out in the US following reports that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has paved the way for the use of new products containing asbestos.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case