Ala, a 22 year old woman who wears contact lenses, attended her GP in September 2005 with a pain in her left eye, which was also discharging pus. She had left her contact lenses in overnight. She was prescribed antibiotic drops but her condition worsened, even though she regularly attended Moorfields Eye Hospital.
The treating doctors diagnosed a bacterial infection and continued the prescription of antibiotic drops and steroids. Notwithstanding the antibiotics, the infection in Ala’s eye worsened. She was in pain and her sight was failing. At the first Moorfields appointment, the discharge from her eye tested positive for an acanthamoebaacanthamoeba infection which is not sensitive to antibiotics.
This report was not acted upon. She should have been treated with antiacanthamoeba therapy. She was not.
The wrong treatment continued for two months.
Eventually a second microbiological test (performed because no improvement was being made) identified the correct cause of the infection and the correct treatment started. Sadly, it was too late and Ala is now partially blind in her left eye.
Paul McNeil was instructed to take a claim on behalf of Ala. He obtained medical evidence and asserted that her injuries were as a result of the failure of medical staff at Moorfields to treat her appropriately and in a timely manner. The case settled for £25,000 in May 2009.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
The complexities behind a wrongful birth claim
Jane Weakley discusses the emotional and ethical challenges of wrongful birth claims.
£12 million settlement for woman who suffered serious brain injury after falling from a bed at John Radcliffe Hospital
Jonathan Zimmern has successfully concluded a case on behalf of Miss Julia Stanbury, who suffered a serious brain injury after she was left unattended and fell from her hospital bed at the John Radcliffe Hospital following a craniotomy.
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case
The CPS has recently announced that it will charge ITH Pharma over contaminated baby feed that led to the deaths of three babies. Senior Associate Arti Shah is representing one of the families involved.
£37m award for boy who contracted herpes virus at Watford General at birth
Paul McNeil has successfully settled a claim on behalf of a six-year-old boy who contracted the herpes simplex virus at Watford General hospital in 2012, which led to brain fever.