Fieldfisher's Helen Thompson recovered £225,000 damages for a 48-year-old man who suffered serious complications following a procedure to treat anal haemorrhoids (piles).
Mr C had a history of haemorrhoids and had previously undergone successful treatment.
In June 2011, Mr C was injected with the chemical Phenol during day surgery at Southend University Hospital to treat internal haemorrhoids.
During the procedure, he experienced significant pain and discomfort and immediately afterwards, had a strong urge to pass urine and was discharging clear fluid smelling of peanuts (Phenol has such an odour) from his penis.
Mr C continued to suffer ongoing low-level discomfort, peri-anal pain, a sensation of bladder fullness and urinary urgency. These symptoms would flare up roughly every couple of months, with each episode lasting several weeks. The pain and symptoms affected Mr C's ability to work, pursue leisure activities and undertake domestic chores. He also suffered pain on ejaculation which badly affected his relationship with his wife. Mr C has required ongoing pain management to treat his physical pain and symptoms.
Mr C was diagnosed as suffering with chemical prostatitis due to the Phenol chemical having been negligently injected into his prostate gland. The physical symptoms also caused psychiatric illness and Mr C was also diagnosed with an adjustment disorder with anxiety, depression, low mood, irritability, lack of energy and sleep disturbance.
Mr C instructed Fieldfisher to investigate the care he had received. Experts in Colorectal Surgery and Urology were instructed to comment on the case and were highly critical of the care provided. They concluded that Mr C's symptoms and the chemical prostatitis were so severe that they could only have resulted from a negligent injection of Phenol directly into the prostate gland.
However, the expert for the Trust responsible for Southend University Hospital alleged that Mr C's symptoms could result even when the injection was directly into the haemorrhoids and that the chemical could be carried to the prostate by the veins in that region of the anatomy. The Claimant's experts argued that, anatomically, this was virtually impossible.
Despite this, the Trust refused to make an admission of liability and defended the case in full until a few months before trial, finally agreeing settlement of £225,000, an offer that had been made 8 months previously in June 2016.
- You can speak to our medical negligence solicitors on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the short enquiry form
All enquiries are completely free of charge and they will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Full investigation into death of disabled woman who had all her teeth removed by doctors
Following submissions from the family, the coroner has agreed to fully investigate the death of a disabled woman who died last November after all her teeth were removed at Kidderminster Hospital.
Hugely successful case management day focuses on best practices for clients
Partners Jane Weakley and Anna Bond spoke at a well-attended case management day this week about collaborative working practices to achieve the best outcome for clients.
New NHS sepsis guidelines will prompt earlier diagnosis and save lives
Following a huge amount of work by the UK Sepsis Trust, in conjunction with the Royal College of Physicians and NHS England, new treatment protocols for suspected sepsis have been issued by NHS England.
Six figure settlement in missed diagnosis of DVT in A&E at Kingston Hospital
Arti Shah has secured a six-figure settlement for Mahadeva Mahindan after a missed diagnosis of his wife's DVT leading to brain damage and subsequent death.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity